The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Four injured in two-vehicle crash

Chase City Council voices opposition to Thornton’s contract

The vote was four in favor, and none opposed. Council members Marshall Whitaker and Vice-Mayor Lisa Gillispie were absent from the meeting.

One killed in fatal crash

A Boydton woman was killed Friday after her car collided with a truck at the intersection of US 58 and route 92 in Boydton.

Sports

South Boston in O-Zone title game

The local all-stars stayed in contention with a 10-5 win over Madison Heights on Monday.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for April 3, 2014

SoVaNow.com / April 03, 2014
Ezekiel, Chapter 37

God’s Word promises that one day His children will possess the Promised land. That time is referred to as the ‘gathering back’, or the restoration of His children as one people. In this chapter, God tells us what we are to do in this restoration.

We are going to be told of a great valley of dry bones—you might call it Israel’s Death Valley”, but it doesn’t mean they are bones of literal people who died. It is symbolism, telling us that these people are spiritually “deader‘n a hammer”, to use a Southern figure of speech. They know nothing about God’s Word, and although they are His children, they don’t even know who they are or where they came from.

Look around you. If you are a dedicated student of the Bible, how many people can you have a really serious Bible conversation with? It’s very hard to find someone with enough knowledge of the Scriptures with whom to carry on a meaningful conversation. Most people don’t know enough about the Bible to get past the ‘milk’ stage, much less getting into the ‘meat’ of the Word. (See 1 Corinthians.3.2 and Hebrews 5.12). Being spiritually dead, or rather, Biblically illiterate, God will tell us in this chapter how to fix the situation. It is very important to keep in mind that this account of the ‘dead bones’ is all symbolism; it is not talking about real human bones, as in flesh and bones, but it is talking about the spiritual condition of the people in these last days.

Ezek. 37:1 “The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones,” [2] “And caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry.” What is “the spirit of the LORD”? It’s the Holy Spirit, and He was there. He picked up Ezekiel, took him to a place that was full of bones and sat him down right in the middle of it. The apostle John had a similar experience that he wrote of in Revelation, chapter 1: “I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet, (10) “Saying, ’I am Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and what thou seest, write in a book and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia and unto Laodicea” (11).

This also brings to mind the experience of Paul on the road to Damascus, when he met Jesus (2 Corin.12.1-5). Like John and Paul after his lifetime, Ezekiel was carried in his spirit to a different place. But Ezekiel saw something very different than what John and Paul saw.

God caused Ezekiel to see some human bones that had no meat left on them. The bones were dried from being in the hot sun so long. These bones represented people who were spiritually dead; those who did not know God. They represent people in our day who have no idea of what lies just ahead of us, people who have not studied to know that the Bible teaches that in the end times, seven trumpets will sound, seven vials of wrath will be poured out and seven seals will be opened. These all herald different events that must come to pass before Christ returns, with the sixth seal, the sixth vial and the sixth trumpet coming to pass for Satan to arrive on earth to play his role of ‘the Antichrist’. The last trumpet to sound, the seventh, the seventh vial and the seventh seal signify the return of Christ.

Ezek. 37:2 “And caused me to pass by them round about:” (in the Hebrew tongue, it says, ‘on this side and on that side’) “And, behold,” (take a look at them!) “[There were] very many in the open valley; and, Lo, [they were] very dry.” Bones exposed to the sun and wind will be dry and bleached to a very light color.

In symbolism, this is telling us that they were spiritually dead — very much so!

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.