The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Four injured in two-vehicle crash

Chase City Council voices opposition to Thornton’s contract

The vote was four in favor, and none opposed. Council members Marshall Whitaker and Vice-Mayor Lisa Gillispie were absent from the meeting.

One killed in fatal crash

A Boydton woman was killed Friday after her car collided with a truck at the intersection of US 58 and route 92 in Boydton.

Sports

South Boston in O-Zone title game

The local all-stars stayed in contention with a 10-5 win over Madison Heights on Monday.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Dec. 13, 2012

SoVaNow.com / December 13, 2012
(Ezek. 23:35) “Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Because thou hast forgotten Me, and cast Me behind thy back, therefore bear thou also thy lewdnesss and thy whoredoms.” If we ignore our Father, we will pay the consequences. He has warned us. We can’t make it into heaven by ‘doing our own thing’. God is fair; He is just, and there are no free rides. We have to keep our part of the contract; the covenant.

(Ezek. 23:36) “The Lord said moreover unto me; Son of man, wilt thou judge Aholah and Aholibah? Yea, declare unto them their abominations;” This is saying: ‘Ezekiel, speak up; be bold; use the analogy I have given you to tell the people that what they have been doing is an abomination to me, and show them the shame they will have if they don’t wake up.’

(Ezek. 23:37) “That they have committed adultery, and blood is in their hands, and with their idols have they committed adultery, and have also caused their sons, whom they bare unto Me, to pass for them through the fire, to devour them.” Many well-meaning parents have threatened their children with: “You’re going to burn in hell if you don’t straighten up!” But, God didn’t say that—man did. They do it to put fear into the mind of a child so they can control them, but they’re doing a terrible injustice to the child.

(Ezek. 23:38) “Moreover this they have done unto Me: they have defiled My sanctuary in the same day, and have profaned My Sabbaths.” ‘Sabbath’ means ‘rest’, and His sanctuary is His church today. He says we have profaned His rest, and defiled His church. He has quite a case against the wayward children.

(Ezek. 23:39) “For when they had slain their children” (not flesh—souls) “to their idols, then they came the same day into My sanctuary to profane it; and, lo, thus have they done in the midst of mine house.” ‘Not only are they damaging the souls of their children by not teaching them about Me, and being good examples for them, but they do those things and then have the nerve to come to church acting so holy and righteous.’ God is not happy with them.

(Ezek. 23:40) “And furthermore, that ye have sent for men to come from far, unto whom a messenger was sent;” (you even advertised) “and, lo, they came: for whom thou didst wash thyself, paintedst thy eyes, and deckedst thyself with ornaments.” “From far” means a lot of time has gone by, and it’s alluding to the end times; today, and all you have here is a couple of old harlots painting themselves up to continue practicing their trade. This has been going on for a long time, time is running out, and they are still running after their idols.

(Ezek. 23:41) “And satest upon a stately bed, and a table prepared before it, whereupon thou hast set mine incense and mine oil.” That’s God’s incense and His anointing oil to be used to anoint the children for healing, for strength and protection. But they have taken it and used it in idolatrous practices.

(Ezek. 23:42) “And a voice of a multitude being at ease” (lazy) “was with her: and with her: and with the men of the common sort” (men out of the masses of mankind) “were brought Sabeans” (drunkards in religions; fanatics; soothsayers; new religions) “from the wilderness, which put bracelets upon their hands, and beautiful crowns upon their heads.” They were all dressed up to look religious.

(Ezek. 23:43) “Then said I unto her that was old in adulteries” (she had been at it a long time), “will they now commit whoredoms with her, and she with them?” The analogy is of two old harlots, all painted up, sitting on their bed, and it is symbolic of the old church. Who are they kidding? They’re too old. Who would want to commit whoredom with them?

(Ezek. 23:44) “Yet they went in unto her, as they go in unto a woman that playeth the harlot: so went they in unto Aholah and unto Aholibah, the lewd women.” (45) “And the righteous men, they shall judge them after the manner of adulteresses, and after the manner of women that shed blood; because they are adulteresses, and blood is in their hands.” What blood is this talking about? It’s talking about their children who were lost because of their harlotry. Understand, this is talking about religion. Even after all this time, even to the last generation, they will pick up heathenism and bring it right into the sanctuary of God, and call it ‘church’. It’s Satan’s way of lulling the senses and turning people’s minds away from worshipping God. Like those old harlots sitting on that bed, to this day some people claiming to love the Lord are still up to the old practices. It’s an insult to the Living God, and He doesn’t like it.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.