The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Big money bet on job initiative

SVHEC ramps up new Center of Excellence with $2 million grant

South Boston home scorched by Monday fire

A Monday morning fire razed a two-story rental house at 1911 N. Main Street in South Boston despite quick action by firefighters to quell the blaze.

County native, advocate for disabled takes story to U.S. Senate

Robertson-Dabrowski overcomes struggles

Sports

South Boston advances in O-Zone

Scottsburg has been eliminated in state Dixie Youth O-zone state tournament, and the South Boston allstars remain alive in the postseason event at the Day Complex.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Dec. 5, 2013

SoVaNow.com / December 04, 2013
Ezek. 33:33 “And when this cometh to pass, (lo, it will come,) then shall they know that a prophet hath been among them.” Ezekiel has God’s promise that what He has told him will certainly come to pass. He also explains that as a result of Ezekiel’s faithfulness, the people will wake up and realize that he is certainly a prophet sent from God. When God speaks an “I will”, we had better pay attention, because it will happen , and it will happen exactly as God says it will happen. God has promised us in this book of Ezekiel we have been studying, as well as in many other places in His Word, that Satan is coming to the earth in the role of Antichrist. You can ‘take it to the bank’, friend, because it is going to happen. We are not been told the time it will happen, but it will happen in God’s time. You and I may not still be living on earth at that time, but it is possible, so the thing for us to do is to heed the warning, hold on to God’s hand and enjoy the ride. There’s a great day coming for God’s faithful people, and He has promised to be with us through it all! What can we say but, “Even so come Lord Jesus!”

Ezekiel, Chapter 34

Ezek. 34:1 “And the Word of the LORD came unto me, saying,” (2) “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel (preachers, teachers), “prophesy, and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God unto the shepherds; Woe be to the shepherds of Israel that do feed themselves! Should not the shepherds feed the flocks?” A good shepherd knows that his livelihood comes from the sheep. He knows he should take really good care of them so he can reap the benefits. The ‘flocks’; the sheep spoken of in this verse are those souls who are surrendered to the Living God. The shepherds are the priests, preachers or teachers who spread the Word among their congregation. They are tending to God’s people for Him! God is saying: ‘Talk to the shepherds, because they are only looking out for themselves when they ought to be looking out for the sheep.’ The shepherd receives his part of the profits, the rewards, when the sheep are returned to the Chief Shepherd, God the Father. But these shepherds are taking their part before the time.

Ezek. 34:2 “Ye eat the fat, and ye clothe you (yourselves) with the wool, ye kill them that are fed, but ye feed not the flock.” What is the main responsibility of the priest, preacher or teacher? To teach “Thus saith the Lord”, meaning the truth as God has written it in His Word. These shepherds have not been doing that, so God is challenging them on it. For the ‘shepherds’ today, He’s saying: ‘You refuse to call sin ‘sin’; you don’t preach repentance. You don’t give My children the meat of the Word that will stick to their ribs. What little you teach them from My Word will not do anything to feed their souls, either. Rather, what you preach to them will lead them to lose their souls.

All you can teach is salvation and baptism, and flying away. You never get around to teaching my sheep from the Word how to live in this world. And, you don’t teach them how I want them to serve me, and what to be watching for in these last days.’

Ezek. 34:3 “The diseased” (the sick) “have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken, neither have ye brought again that which was driven away, neither have ye sought that which was lost; but with force and with cruelty have ye ruled them.”

How does a preacher heal the sick? It’s done by anointing the person and praying for God to heal them. But these priests have not done that. What about today?

How many preachers do you know that anoint their people for healing?

Some of them spit in their hands and rub it on the sick persons head or knock them down to the floor, and call it healin, rather than anointing them with oil as Christ taught.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.