The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

On the Ebola front lines

County native opts to switch duties as Emory RN, bringing him face-to-face with victims of outbreak

Tax deadlines jeopardized by tardy bills

Town of Halifax expects to push back due date for personal property payments; South Boston struggles to stick to schedule

Prizery managing director to leave position

Sports

Coleman Starnes, coaching legend, dies at age 75

Frank Coleman Starnes, the most successful high school varsity football coach in Comet history, passed away Wednesday at the age of 65.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Feb. 14, 2013

SoVaNow.com / February 13, 2013
Ezek. 25:14 “And I will lay my vengeance upon Edom by the hand of my people Israel: and they shall do in Edom according to mine anger and according to my fury; and they shall know my vengeance, saith the Lord God.” There are many Christians in Russia, and God’s fury is not directed towards them. He is unhappy with their communistic system of government, and He’s going to do something about that. Our own leaders should learn a lesson from this Scripture.

Ezek. 25:15 “Thus saith the Lord God: Because the Philistines have dealt by revenge, and have taken vengeance with a despiteful heart, to destroy it for the old hatred;” What is the ‘old hatred’? We read in the book of Malachi: “I have loved you, saith the Lord, yet ye say, Wherein has thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? Saith the Lord: yet I loved Jacob, and I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness” (Malachi 1:1-3). What was the reason God hated Esau? He didn’t have time for God; he didn’t love Him; didn’t honor Him. And he was more concerned about pleasing his earthly father, Isaac than he was about pleasing his heavenly Father.

Ezek. 25:16 “Therefore thus saith the Lord God: Behold, I will stretch out mine hand upon the Philistines, and I will cut off the Cherethims,” (executioners) “and destroy the remnant of the sea coast.”

Who are these people; these executioners? They are a tribe of the Philistines who lived along the Mediterranean coast, and who probably were mercenaries, some of whom were hired by the Hebrews as protectors. But, this has a deeper spiritual meaning. Who is the #1 executioner? His name is ‘Death’, so you should know that this is talking about Satan, himself (read Hebrews 2:14). The chief executioner will finally cease to exist; Death, himself will be destroyed.

Ezek. 25:17 “And I will execute great vengeance upon them with furious rebukes; and they shall know that I am the Lord” (that’s the purpose), “when I shall lay my vengeance upon them.” Just at the close of the tribulation period, on the first day of the Millennium, every knee will bow to Christ. That time is coming, and it looks like it won’t be long.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.