The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

No let-up in recriminations for Mecklenburg County School Board

Trustees argue over call to oust Bullock, Thornton; lawyer intervenes

Clarksville recognizes volunteer effort

Nunn named recipient of Kathleen Walker Lifetime Achievement Award

Clarksville makes list of Top 10 Virginia destinations for Christmas vibe

Sports

Comets easily handle Tunstall 57-39

Face Person Saturday in final tuneup before Classic

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Feb. 28, 2013

SoVaNow.com / February 28, 2013
Ezekiel, Chapter 26

In the next three chapters, we will be dealing with Tyrus. The word means ‘rock’, and that’s one of Satan’s names as well as the name of a city. Christ is our Rock, and since Satan is a great imitator of Christ, he’s the ‘rock’ for those who follow him. The city of Tyrus was a stronghold of Satan, and keeping this in mind helps us to understand what will befall the world in the end times.

Ezek. 26:1 “And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the first day of the month, that the word of the Lord came unto me saying,” (all of the dates given in Ezekiel are dated from the reign of king Jehoiachin; not Jehoiakim. King Jehoiachin only had a three-month and ten-day reign, before he and his mother were taken captive by Nebuchadnezzar. This word came to Ezekiel in the eleventh year after that time.

Ezek. 26:2 “Son of man, because that Tyrus” (this is the island of Tyre) hath said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken that was the gates of the people: she is turned unto me; I shall be replenished, now she is laid waste:” This was after Nebuchadnezzar had conquered Jerusalem. Why would Tyre make a statement like this, since Nebuchadnezzar was the one who conquered Jerusalem? She’s rejoicing. Why? She had already made a trade deal with Nebuchadnezzar that would bring in lots of commerce to that city.

Ezek. 26:3 “Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus” (God is against Satan’s one-world system, and it’s going to fall) “and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up.” Tyrus was a small rocky island; well fortified and easy to defend. There was a harbor facing outward to the sea called ‘the Harbor of the Egyptians’, and one that faced toward the land of Sidon, called the “Port of Sidonia”.

Ezek. 26:4 “And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus”, (and, they literally did) “and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.” That means flattened. This is speaking of the future, emphasizing the fact that Satan’s system will not last. In Revelation, it tells us that it will be just 5 months.

Ezek. 26:5 “It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord God: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.” Even today, it’s desolate. God pronounced that sentence on it, and it still holds. When God speaks something, it will come to pass; you can count on it. That’s why it’s important for us to understand what is history and what is future. The ‘spoil to the nations’ came about when some of the people were taken captive and sold as slaves. Satan is planning to fool all people living on earth into following him when he comes in his role as the antichrist. But God is moving among His elect even today to reach people with the truth of His Word, and when Satan comes disguised as Christ, he’s not going to fool everybody, but he will fool most.

Ezek. 26:6 “And her daughters which are in the field shall be slain by the sword; and they shall know that I am the Lord.” There were approximately 30,000 of these ‘daughters’; actual people living there who were sold as slaves by Alexander. But, the ‘daughters’ here represent the cities and towns on the mainland. In the end times, the Sword of the Lord; God’s Truth, will be learned by many people, and it will prepare them for Satan’s onslaught. That’s the way God is going to snatch them from Satan’s hands. They are coming out of ‘Babylon’; confusion, into the Truth.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.