The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Big money bet on job initiative

SVHEC ramps up new Center of Excellence with $2 million grant

South Boston home scorched by Monday fire

A Monday morning fire razed a two-story rental house at 1911 N. Main Street in South Boston despite quick action by firefighters to quell the blaze.

County native, advocate for disabled takes story to U.S. Senate

Robertson-Dabrowski overcomes struggles

Sports

South Boston advances in O-Zone

Scottsburg has been eliminated in state Dixie Youth O-zone state tournament, and the South Boston allstars remain alive in the postseason event at the Day Complex.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Feb. 7, 2013

SoVaNow.com / February 07, 2013
Our punishment may not be a scattering, but we surely are due for some sort of punishment from Him, and I believe we have just seen the beginning. It‘s past time for Christians to start repenting and living closer to their Father, giving Him credit for the blessings we have enjoyed both nationally and personally. And, it’s past time to get serious about our role as Christians and to stop ‘playing church’. Had these people repented and returned to God, He would have forgiven them and not destroyed their nation. Likewise, that would happen in our nation. God’s promise to us is this: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land” 2Chron. 7:14). That’s all that God requires so He can heal the problems in our nation. A promise is like a check that is written with your name on it, the amount and the signature of the donor. If you put it in a drawer somewhere and forget about it, it’s not cash, and it will never be cash as long as it remains in the drawer. You have to act on the promise written on that piece of paper and take it some place where it can be cashed. It’s just a promise of turning into money until you cash it. Will enough Christians heed the words of God’s Promise in this Scripture to collect on it? I don’t see any signs of it. God has so many blessings that He wants to share with those who are a part of His kingdom here. It makes Him happy when He can bless us: “Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom” (Luke 12:32). But, there’s so much more to experience than what we know in just the short lifetime we spend on earth. There’s a whole new world coming with a kingdom that Father wants to share with us, and it’s called ‘the Eternity’. Nothing that the world offers can even come close in comparison to it and if you want to make the trip, you have to start planning for it now. Our Father may give His children many chances to turn their lives around while they are alive. But once the breath of life leaves the flesh body, all chances cease as well.

Ezek. 25:12 “Thus saith the Lord God; Because that Edom” (they’re descendants of Esau; Russia today) “hath dealt against the house of Judah by taking vengeance, and hath greatly offended, and revenged himself upon them;” The animosity of Russia for Judah; the Jews is long-standing, and it persists to this day. But God has His eye on Judah’s situation as well as the situations in the lives of His other children, and He’s going to take care of it, as He will tell us in the remaining verses of this chapter. When God speaks, we had better listen, because His promises will come to pass in His perfect timing.

Ezek. 25:13 “Therefore thus saith the Lord God; I will also stretch out mine hand upon Edom, and will cut off man and beast from it; and I will make it desolate from Teman” (Teman is a grandson of Esau, and this prophecy is yet future) “and they of Dedan” (descendants of Abraham’s grandson by his second wife, Keturah) “shall fall by the sword.” Do you know what this ‘sword’ is that God will use in their fall? It’s that sharp two-edged sword; the truth which comes from the lips of Jesus Christ. The truth of God’s Word will bring about their downfall. Our Father doesn’t use the same weapons that man uses. He doesn’t need them. His Word is all-powerful, and that’s what He will use to get the job done. For example, He tells us in Chapters 38 and 39 of this great book what He will do to them in one of the final battles of this earth age, the battle of Hamongog.

God will not use any of man’s armies to defeat Russia-by command from His mouth, giant hailstones will fall from the sky to crush their army, killing so many that it will take seven months to bury all the dead.

This will be explained when we work our way to those chapters.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.