The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Veterans Day Parade Nov. 8

A season of transformation

It’s some play

Great stories cannot exist without great narration. A good narrator moves the plot along and clarifies details for the reader. The same is true when a story is brought to…

Sports

Patrick County spoils Senior Night

Patrick County spoiled the Senior Night celebration for Comet volleyball, downing Halifax County High School three sets to two.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Jan. 10, 2013

SoVaNow.com / January 10, 2013
Ezek. 24:14 “I the Lord have spoken it: it shall come to pass, and I will do it;” (there is no more positive, absolute statement than that) “I will not go back, neither will I spare, neither will I repent;” (I will NOT change My mind) “According to thy ways, and according to thy doings, shall they judge thee, saith the Lord God.” That’s the way it’s going to be. We can count on it because those are words spoken by the Lord God Almighty!

Ezek. 24:15 “Also the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,” (16) “Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke: yet neither shalt thou mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down.” God is telling Ezekiel that he is going to become a sign for God’s children. The ‘desire of thine eyes’, Ezekiel’s wife, is going to have a stroke and die, but he is not to mourn for her. This word ‘stroke’ also has a special meaning. Strokes are caused by an interruption of the blood flow to the brain, often leaving the person without the ability to think clearly. There’s a message in this for us, telling us that God’s children who spurn the love of their Father, are not thinking very well, either. They don’t think about the power of Almighty God, and what He has done for His children down through the ages, and still does today. Why was Ezekiel told not to mourn for his wife? It is to be a sign that when the day comes that the pot has to be cleansed to the degree that it will, we are not going to mourn for those who are gone, either, because it will be as if they never existed - erased from the minds of those who loved them. What kind of heaven would it be if we had to spend eternity looking out over a massive fire pit filled with moaning, groaning, screaming and suffering people who didn’t make it into heaven, begging for a drop of water, as most of us have been taught? To think of spending eternity there is not my idea of what heaven should be. Do you think God would be happy with that, since we have just been discussing the great love God has for His children? I’d like to give you a little ‘homework assignment’. You don’t have to ‘turn it in to the teacher’—just think about this: No flesh is going to be in heaven (1 Corin. 15:50) or in hell, because at death we leave our flesh bodies behind, in the ground; in the grave, or it may be cremated and scattered someplace, while our soul in our spirit body remains very much alive and goes ”back to God, who gave it” (Ecc. 12:7). So, have you ever thought about what effect fire could have on a soul? Remember what is God’s Shekaynah Glory. This would be a good time for you to study the parable of Lazarus and the rich man (Luke 16:20-31). Now, back to Ezekiel…

Ezek. 24:17 “Forbear to cry,” (‘Don’t you shed one tear”) “make no mourning for the dead, bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet, and cover not thy lips, and eat not the bread of men”. This is the mourning bread, and is a custom that has come down through the generations. In that day, when a person died, as is the custom today, friends would bring over food. God is saying, “Don’t eat it.”

Ezek. 24:18 “So I spake unto the people in the morning: and at even my wife died; and I did in the morning as I was commanded.” Ezekiel carried out the command of the Lord.

What faith Ezekiel had. He was surely grieved over the loss of his wife, but his commitment to God was so strong! How could he have such strong faith? Ezekiel knew that death was not the end, and that God was in control. What would life be like if we all had that kind of faith?

Ezek. 24:19 “And the people said unto me, Wilt thou not tell us what these things are to us, that thou doest so?” The people are wondering what is going on with Ezekiel. They knew he was devoted to his wife, but now, she’s dead and he’s not shedding a single tear. They know Ezekiel is a prophet, and that God sends them messages through Ezekiel, and that he acts out God’s message at times, so they want him to tell them what his actions mean.

Ezek. 24:20 “Then I answered them” (this is the answer Ezekiel gave to the people), “The word of the Lord came unto me, saying,” (21) “Speak unto the house of Israel, thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will profane My sanctuary,” (do you know how God is going to profane His sanctuary? By giving Michael the signal to kick Satan out right into His sanctuary in Jerusalem) “the excellency of your strength, the desire of your eyes, and that which your soul pitieth; and your sons and your daughters whom ye have left” (left destitute of God’s word) “shall fall by the sword.” This is not talking about Ezekiel’s family, but of the whole house of Israel. Whose sword is this talking about? It’s the sword, the tongue of Antichrist; the false Jesus and the false words coming forth from him; it’s his lies that will say, “I’ve come to rapture you away.” God is telling us about these people, through Ezekiel, “Don’t shed any tears for them - they have had their chance, and now they’re gone.” That sounds so harsh, but we will not be looking with flesh eyes at that time. We will be seeing with our spiritual eyes, having 100% recall and understanding all things, where now, we only “see through a glass darkly” (I Corin. 13:12).

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.