The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Destination Downtown gains national Main Street accreditation

Destination Downtown South Boston (DDSB) has been designated as an accredited National Main Street Program for meeting the commercial district revitalization performance standards set by the National Main Street Center,…

Bear causes crash on Route 624

HCCA Walk of Hope slated Sept. 13

Sports

Complex hosts tournaments

A total of 17 teams will compete for the Dixie Youth baseball AAA and O-Zone state crowns.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Jan. 16,2014

SoVaNow.com / January 16, 2014
Ezekiel, Chapter 35

This book is telling us about God’s judgment on Israel’s enemies, His judgment on nations and the restoration of Israel. The thing that makes Biblical prophecy so interesting is that every prophecy will come to pass. Some have already been fulfilled; some are happening today, and the rest surely will come to pass; some possibly in our day. God’s Word is true - He has a plan for this earth, and He has infinite patience, a virtue which we greatly lack. We are geared to time, but He is not necessarily on our time table. God’s promises are as solid as a rock, and we would do well to stand on that rock.

Ezek. 35:1 “ Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying”, [2] Son of man, set thy face against mount Seir, and prophesy against it”, [3] “And say unto it, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O mount Seir, I am against thee, and I will stretch out mine hand against thee, and I will make thee most desolate.” The word, ‘Seir’ is taken from a word that means ‘hairy’. Do you remember the story in Genesis, chapter 25, where Rebekah gave birth to twins? Esau was the one who was born first, and he was red and hairy. Esau was the father of the Russian people. Seir is the land of Esau. In the Hebrew language, Seir also hints of the craggy rock, the hidden rock, and that is where the Kenite lives. They impose their influence on the nations from their position in the crag of the rock, doing their work from behind the scenes. The land of Russia includes Siberia, and that place is indeed desolate. The communistic government is God’s enemy today, but, not all of the Russian people are enemies of God. There are many fine Russian Christians there, who suffer a lot in order to live their faith.

Ezek. 35:4 “I will lay thy cities waste, and thou shalt be desolate, and thou shalt know that I am the Lord”. [5] “Because thou hast had a perpetual hatred, and hast shed the blood of the children of Israel by the force of the sword in the time of their calamity, in the time that their iniquity had an end”: The Jewish people are the most hated race of people on earth. Why? The world hates God and His Christ, and the Jews represent God in the minds of the world. Another reason is that the Jews are blamed for the crucifixion of Christ by some Christian denominations. The Bible scholar knows that the Jews are not the ones who are responsible for the crucifixion of Christ. The murderers were imposters who had worked their way into the priesthood, becoming scribes and Pharisees because they claimed to be Jews. They were Kenites, descendants of Cain, who were called ‘Jews’ because they lived in the land of Judea. On one occasion, they were setting a trap for Jesus, hoping His answer would give them ammunition to use against Him. Jesus knew who they really were, and He told them, “Ye are of your father, the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him…for he is a liar, and the father of it” (John. 8: 44). This “calamity” is talking about the slaughter the communist Russian government brought on the people. God does not like to see His children suffer.

He loves them, but He does require that His children know that He is God. Is that asking too much considering what he does for His people? Father is reminding them that they took advantage of His people, and He is letting them know that He is very aware of it.

Russia’s government is still the enemy of the nation of Israel and of the United States. Don’t be misled by peace talks and other high-level diplomatic rhetoric that comes to us by way of the nightly news on television.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.