The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Injuries slight in three-car crash

Police look into possible sighting of missing HCHS student

South Boston NewsSouth Boston Police are continuing their search for Dylan R. McElroy, a missing…

Halifax County budget fix unclear, but needs come into focus

Supervisors review next year’s numbers, withhold discussion of likely options

Sports

Wrestlers split dual meet

The Halifax County High School grapplers are 2-8 on the season in dual meet action following a split between Tunstall and Bluestone Wednesday.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Jan. 31, 2013

SoVaNow.com / January 30, 2013
Ezek. 25:6 “For thus saith the Lord God; Because thou hast clapped thine hands” (applauded), “and stamped with the feet, and rejoiced in heart with all thy despite” (contempt) “against the land of Israel;” (7) “Behold, therefore I will stretch out mine hand upon thee, and will deliver thee for a spoil to the heathen;” (the nations) “and I will cut thee off from the people, and I will cause thee to perish out of the countries: I will destroy thee; and thou shalt know that I am the Lord.” In other words, the Ammonites, who are Adamic people, would stop being a nation. That’s a very big price to pay for mistreating your brothers, but God sees it as a very serious thing. In His covenant with Abraham, God promised: “And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee”(Gen. 12:3). There are other examples in God’s Word in which He expresses His displeasure when brother comes up against brother.

Ezek. 25:8 “Thus saith the Lord God; because that Moab and Seir do say, Behold, the house of Judah is like unto all the heathen;” These people of Seir are Kenites, descendants of Cain, but Moab is another son of Lot. Seir was the land of the Edomites; the descendants of Esau, but it’s also referring to the Kenites because some of them lived in the land of Moab. God is saying that between Moab, Seir and Judah, as well as the house of Israel; there’s no difference; they are all alike. They’re just like the heathen people. Well, without God’s Word, what is the difference? None, because to be without God’s Word makes you fit the Biblical definition of a heathen. As educated as the American people are, as a whole, there are many, many among them who can be classified as heathens, because they do not know anything about the Word of God, and that’s very, very sad.

Ezek. 25:9 “Therefore, behold, I will open the side of Moab from the cities,” (‘I will cause a hole in his defense’) “from his cities which are on his frontiers,” (the surrounding cities) “the glory of the country, Beth-jeshimoth” (meaning ‘house of the desert), “Baal-meon” (habitation of Baal), “and Kiriathaim”, (double-floored city); The ‘double-floored city means not one solid foundation: it means double standard; having two standards. We see this today among the church as a whole, because the church does not stand solely on the knowledge and wisdom that God has given in His Word, but they rely on traditions of men that have seeped into weak, immature minds.

Ezek. 25:10 “Unto the men of the east with the Ammonites, and will give them in possession, that the Ammonites may not be remembered among the nations.” They are scattered, and no longer called a nation because they have intermixed until they have lost their identity. God’s Word has come to pass, as it always has and always will.

Ezek. 25:11 “And I will execute judgments upon Moab; and they shall know that I am the Lord.” All of the discipline and correction that God directs toward His people is just for one reason: that they may know Him, and know that He is God.

That’s what He desires from His children even today, but so many of them are indifferent to Him and cannot care less about knowing Him. To their peril, they trust in their own abilities to get by in this world rather than acknowledging His presence and His control of things. Looking at the world situation today, can you see the parallels between our nation and the former nation of the Ammonites?

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.