The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SVHEC bring home honors from IWF

Continuing a trend that began in 2008, students in the Product/Industrial Design & Development programs at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center earned honors in a national woodworking competition.

Veterans Day Parade Nov. 8

A season of transformation

Sports

Patrick County spoils Senior Night

Patrick County spoiled the Senior Night celebration for Comet volleyball, downing Halifax County High School three sets to two.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for June 6, 2013

SoVaNow.com / June 06, 2013
Ezek. 29:6 “And all the inhabitants of Egypt shall know that I am the Lord,” (it is very important that we know that God has a purpose and a motive for everything He does. God does not intend to harm or to hurt, but to bring His children back under His wings. Even the ‘crocodile’ and the ‘fish’, symbolic of the king and his subjects, are included because they are also God’s children, and He loves them and wants them to know that He is God—not some inanimate rock; and certainly not some frog-god) “because they have been a staff of reed to the house of Israel.” A staff is a walking stick, but this is a walking stick made out of a little reed that gives the body no support whatsoever. God is saying, “Israel relied on you for support and you were like a flimsy reed.” They did this by inciting Israel to resist and rebel against Assyria with promises of help from them, but those promises failed. The recent ruler of Egypt, the deposed Mubarak, was not a friend of Israel, but due to American aid, they practiced restraint, and at least restrained others from actually attacking Israel. Today, Egypt is controlled by the Muslim Brotherhood, a group sworn to annihilate all Jews. And our government still gives them billions of American taxpayer dollars in foreign aid, and we just sent fighter planes to Egypt. How much sense does that make? Who does Egypt need to be protected from? Certainly not Israel. Israel doesn’t want to conquer Egypt, all they want is to protect themselves and live peacefully in their land. Oh well, signs of the times. It is written: “And I will give children to be their princes (rulers), and babes (people with minds that think like children) “shall rule over them” (Isaiah 3:4). Do you think this prophecy is being fulfilled in our day? Think about it. We are living in very interesting times, but never forget: God is in control—thank God for that. Watchmen, watch!

Ezek. 29:7 “When they took hold of thee by thy hand,” (when Israel reached out to you for help) “thou didst break,” (that little reed just snapped) “and rend all their shoulder: and when they leaned upon thee, thou brakest,” (stopped; put the brakes on) “and madest all their loins to be at a stand” That means ‘to halt’. The splinter of the reed that broke brought pain to the people of Israel. The point here is that no nation can save man, and no one-world system can save the world. Only God can save a person, a nation, or the world, for that matter. Not a ‘peace, peace’ here or a ‘peace, peace’ there, nor a treaty here or a treaty there. That’s a lesson we should have learned a long time ago, but man has come to the point that he thinks he is smarter than God, and knows better what is best for mankind than even the Creator of man knows. This, and also, many people ignore and some even deny that there is such a thing as a “God”.

Ezek. 29:8 “Therefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will bring a sword upon thee, and cut off man and beast out of thee.” Father is saying to Egypt: “My people are not going to depend on you anymore.” Do you see the fulfillment of this prophecy in our day? Does the government of Israel depend on Egypt for anything today? She is so blessed as a nation that she no longer has to lean of Egypt for anything.

Ezek. 29:9 “And the land of Egypt shall be desolate and waste; and they shall know that I am the Lord: because he hath said, the river is mine, and I have made it.” It hurts God’s feelings when His children lean on some system, the government or whatever, rather than leaning on Him. How far some Americans have gotten from God as our Provider! Some depend on the government to provide their needs to the point that they regard it as an ‘entitlement’. You can be sure of one thing: if those whose sustenance comes entirely from the government would let that go and live so God could be their Provider, they would find that He is much better at providing for them than the United States Government, and besides, they would have their self-esteem intact! God is jealous over His children—it’s no different than it is for an earthly parent. If our child relied on some other family member or a neighbor rather than coming to us for help when they need it, we would feel the same way. This verse goes on to say that God made the Nile River, and it belongs to Him; not to Pharaoh; not to Egypt or anybody else. Man may have taken machinery and equipment and made dams and opened drainage ditches, but it’s God’s water and it’s still His land. All things belong to God, even if man does claim parts of it.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.