The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Mecklenburg trustees reschedule for July 31 to talk contract extension for Thornton

Board chair hails performance, but move draws outside fire

Water authority looks to Banister for backup

In wake of coal ash spill, and with N.C. localities looking to tap the Dan, HCSA eyes alternatives

HIDDEN TREASURE

Geocaching is challenging and fun, and available in Halifax and surrounding area

Sports

Complex hosts tournaments

A total of 17 teams will compete for the Dixie Youth baseball AAA and O-Zone state crowns.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for March 6, 2014

SoVaNow.com / March 05, 2014
Ezek. 36:18 “Wherefore I poured my fury upon them for the blood that they had shed upon the land, and for their idols wherewith they had polluted it:” [19] “And I scattered them among the heathen, and they were dispersed through the countries: according to their way and according to their doings I judged them.” In the very house of God, their false shepherds and their religions, are adding a verse of Scripture here and a verse there to make it fit their traditions. God is not happy with them. He considers it unclean, and He’s tired of it all. Many things are idols to this generation. Entertainment is available 24/7. The more affluent a society, the more idols are available. There’s nothing wrong with good, wholesome entertainment, but there’s such an influx of mindless, frivolous things on TV, the Internet and elsewhere. That only contributes to brainwashing and filthy information entering our brains. Nothing good can come of that type of entertainment. If you put garbage in your mind, garbage will come out of it. God is always fair; He lets us write our own ticket because we have free will. God’s way of dealing with the ancient Israelites was to scatter them. Does our generation deserve any less? They deserved it, but, in scattering them, He preserved them.

Ezek. 36:20 “And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the Lord, and are gone forth out of his land.” Wherever the Israelites came in contact with heathen people, the heathen thought God had run them out of their land. They thought that God would not protect His children. God’s purpose for having them as His Chosen People was that with Him providing for them completely, it would be a witness of His loving hand upon them. They were supposed to be God’s representatives, living righteously before the heathen, thereby being the example that would cause the heathen to want what they had. Through them, Father would give the heathen the chance to follow Him, too. But just look at them! They picked up bits and pieces of religions of the people they walked among. Our people have always been bad about picking up traditions of men and incorporating them into their beliefs. They have never clung strictly to God’s teachings down through the years as have the Jews. That’s why we have so many religious beliefs among us today. Too many of those who call themselves Christians don’t study the Bible as they should. Most cannot tell you the name that our Father told Moses to call Him, or any of His other titles. Furthermore, most don’t even care. They just call Him “God”. Whenever Jesus prayed, He always called him “Father” - not “God”.

Ezek. 36:21 “But I had pity for mine holy name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the heathen, whither they went.” The heathen are also His creation, and He loves them as well. “Heathen” refers to all those who are not of the Hebrew race. They are also called Gentiles. Father had pity on them for His name’s sake. He didn’t want His people to be poor witnesses to the heathen, because He wanted them to know Him, too.

Ezek. 36:22 “Therefore say unto the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I do not this for your sakes, O house of Israel, but for mine holy name’s sake, which ye have profaned among the heathen, whither ye went.” God is telling Ezekiel to inform the Israelites that He didn’t do this for their sakes; they didn’t deserve it. He did it for the sake of His name among the heathen, that they might come to know Him as their God.

Ezek. 36:23 “And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.” God’s chosen ones had profaned His Holy name before the heathen. But, He’s going to sanctify His name and give them the chance to know Him as the Living God. That was the purpose He had for choosing them in the first place. They failed in their responsibility. Many times when God performs miracles among His people, it is to impress on the non-believer that He is real.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.