The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SOL test scores: Mixed bag

Halifax makes the grade half of the time with passing rates, but dropoffs outnumber gains

Judge nixes lawsuit by motorsports instructor

Case dismissed after Wilborn contested firing

Jobless rate rises to 8.8 percent in July

Halifax County’s unemployment rate jumped from 8.3 percent in June to 8.8 percent in July. Over 900 people left the labor force, which numbered 15,974 in June, but fell to…

Sports

Comets fall in opener to Jefferson Forest

A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for May 16, 2013

SoVaNow.com / May 16, 2013
Ezek. 28:16 “By the multitude of thy merchandise” (this is trade; peddling) “they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God”: (this is the ‘katbole’, the ‘overthrow’ that happened in the first earth age) “and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.” God is telling Satan that he will be removed from His Altar. We have the privilege of repenting and returning to that Altar; Satan doesn’t because he did not repent.

Ezek. 28:17 “Thine heart was lifted up” (self-pride) “because of thy beauty”, (‘your splendidness’—he let it go to his head) “thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness;” (‘brightness’, or ‘sharpness’ can be the downfall of many people if they don’t recognize that every gift they have comes from the Living God. God is the One who is Bright; it’s God Who is splendid; it’s God Who is beautiful) “I will cast thee to the ground,” (the earth—this is future; he’s coming, and it’s not far away—we’re well into that generation) “I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.” When Satan is in the pit during the Millennium, people will pass by and see him and will say, “Is this the man that deceived the nations?” (Isaiah 14:16).

Ezek. 28:18 “Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities,” (Satan had every chance for salvation, but he messed up—not just once—but multitudes of times. Our Father gives all His children every opportunity to repent of their sins, and Satan was no exception, but he fooled himself into thinking his power was greater than God’s powers) “By the iniquity of thy traffic; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee” (do you know what ‘in the midst of thee’ means? It means ‘from within’; or from the inside out, so that nothing is left of him) “it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.” Satan will walk into the Lake of Fire, and this is known as ‘the second death’. Just as that 1/3 followed him in the overthrow, so will there be 1/3; maybe many more living on the earth who follow him into the Lake of Fire. (See Rev. 20:10). To be ‘turned into ashes’ is a Hebrew idiom that means nothing will be left of him. He will be gone forever, as if he never existed. In the Hebrew way of thinking, this is like a stick of wood that is completely burned. It is no longer a stick of wood—it’s just a pile of ashes, and will never be a stick of wood again. Eventually the wind will scatter the ashes and they will be dissolved into the soil.

Ezek. 28:19 “All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more.” That means forever and forever. He will be burned up; turned into a pile of ashes to be blown away and gone forever, without any memory of him left. The Lake of Fire is God’s fire; His Shekinah glory that burns His enemies, but warms the hearts of His children who love Him. That’s where Satan and the fallen angels are destined to go, along with all those who reject Jesus. After that, even the Lake of Fire will be gone as we read in Rev. 21:1. In the Eternity, it’s all land; no more lakes or seas, including the Lake of Fire. It will have accomplished its purpose and be no longer needed.

Ezek. 28:20 “Again the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,” (21) “Son of man, set thy face against Zidon, and prophesy against it,” (22) “And say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, O Zidon; and I will be glorified in the midst of thee:” (how can that be—will God be glorified in the midst of Zidon when He is against that city? Listen:) “and they shall know that I am the Lord, when I shall have executed judgments in her, and shall be sanctified in her.” How will He be sanctified in Zidon? By revealing His power. This is speaking of the time when the king of Babylon, Satan as the antichrist, appears on earth, and many will be very impressed by his power. God is saying that His power will be sanctified as He intercedes and judges this old king of Babylon. When the feet of Jesus touch down on the Mount of Olives at his second coming, the whole thing crumbles into sand. People will see that Satan has no power against Christ, and when he is being led away in chains by Michael, the archangel, then they will be amazed at that moment—even horrified. The Greek word that describes it is ‘epipita’, and means ‘a paralyzing fear’ will come over them because at that instant they will realize they have been deceived into worshiping the false Messiah.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.