The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Move over, Mississippi: cotton crop takes root in Southside Virginia

Compared to Southside Virginia’s big cash crop in tobacco, King Cotton is, well, kind of puny.

Stolen guns found at Clarksville area home

Clarksville Council mulls response to feral cats amid rabies reports

In light of the Clarksville’s recent rabies scare, members of the Town Council again discussed what to do, if anything, with the people who feed the feral cat populations around…

Sports

Owen commits to continue softball playing career at Averett University

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for May 23, 2013

SoVaNow.com / May 23, 2013
Ezek. 28:23 “For I will send into her pestilence, and blood into her streets; and the wounded shall be judged in the midst of her by the sword upon her on every side” (this is the final conflict, and this sword is the Sword of the Lord, His Truth); “and they shall know that I am the Lord”. They will not know Him when antichrist comes, because they will believe the antichrist is really Jesus, but they will know him for who he really is, when they see the True Jesus coming in the clouds, on the white horse as King of kings and Lord of lords. Remember, this is a battle for souls! Satan knows he cannot wage a literal war against God. God is telling us about a spiritual happening by likening it to a real battle so we can relate to it and better understand how He feels about the souls of His children. We are very important to Him.

Ezek. 28:24 “And there shall be no more a pricking brier unto the house of Israel, nor any grieving thorn of all that are round about them, that despised them; and they shall know that I am the Lord God.” All God gets out of this is that His children know Him and come back to Him. That’s really what He wants from us. He wants us to love Him so He can lavish His blessings on us. But so many of us are stubborn, wanting to have things our way, even though God’s way is so much better for us. Before he was converted, the Apostle Paul was persecuting the Church, and Jesus asked him: “Why do you kick against the pricks, Paul?” In other words, He said, “Why don’t you just take off your shoes and go out here and kick against one of these old cactus plants? You’re not hurting anyone but yourself.” God is going to remove those prickly briers, and bless our path if we completely give ourselves to Him. This verse is talking about the restoration of the nation of Israel, and the taking away of pain and problems we have in this earth age when we don’t have God as our guide.

Ezek. 28:25 “Thus saith the Lord God; When I shall have gathered the house of Israel from the people among whom they are scattered,” (scattered throughout the nations) “and shall be sanctified in them in the sight of the heathen,” (that’s ‘nations’; how will He be sanctified? Because the nations are going to know that He is God, also, just as the deceived Christians will know) “then shall they dwell in their land that I have given to my servant Jacob.” Jacob is the father of all 12 tribes and this is used as a symbol of the natural seed; all twelve tribes.

Ezek. 28:26 “And they shall dwell safely therein, and shall build houses, and plant vineyards; yea, they shall dwell with confidence, when I have executed judgments upon all those that despise them round about them; and they shall know that I am the Lord their God.” That’s the whole purpose: so God’s children will know that He is the Lord their God. This is not done for punishment. This is the restoration of His children. The ‘nations’, those other than God’s elect, will have their own kings and queens in the Eternity, which are the equivalent of God’s elect, and they will teach their own people.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.