The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Veterans Day Parade Nov. 8

A season of transformation

It’s some play

Great stories cannot exist without great narration. A good narrator moves the plot along and clarifies details for the reader. The same is true when a story is brought to…

Sports

Patrick County spoils Senior Night

Patrick County spoiled the Senior Night celebration for Comet volleyball, downing Halifax County High School three sets to two.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for May 9, 2013

SoVaNow.com / May 09, 2013
Ezek. 28:9 “Wilt thou yet say before him that slayeth thee, I am God?” (“Are you going to stand before Me, the One who is going to put you to death and say ‘I am God”?) ”But thou shalt be a man, and no God, in the hand of Him that slayeth thee.” This is saying: ‘No, you are not God—you are going to be just like a man in the hand of Him who puts you to death.’

Ezek. 28:10 “Thou shalt die the deaths” (this is the second time he said this, and it’s for emphasis) “of the uncircumcised by the hand of strangers;” (who are these ‘strangers’? They are God’s faithful children; they’re ‘strangers’ to Satan) “for I have spoken it, saith the Lord God.” When God speaks and promises a certain thing, you can be assured that He means it, and it is going to happen.

Ezek. 28:11 “Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,” (12) “Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus,” (up to this point, Satan has been referred to as the ‘prince’ of Tyrus. Now, we go back to the first earth age to learn what Satan had before his fall) “and say unto him, thus saith the Lord God; thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.” God is saying, ‘I made you this way. I gave you everything.’ God surely must have loved Satan at one time to give him this wisdom and beauty, and to give him the responsibility of protecting the Mercy Seat, itself. How did he happen to get this much attention from God? We don’t know because it is not written, but he must have had something going for him. But, oh, how quickly one can fall when pride comes in! Satan didn’t want to be beneath God; he wanted to replace God; to be God, Himself. That, of course, is not possible, but that’s what pride can do for you.

Ezek. 28:13 “Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God;” (did you ever hear of the old ‘serpent’—that old ‘dragon’ that deceived Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden? That’s him) “Every precious stone was thy covering, the sardis, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold:” (these are some of the same stones found in the breast plate of the priests. Satan filled a very important role) “the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.” Now, God tells us the position Satan held that He would call him a ‘king’:

Ezek. 28:14 “Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth;” (covers what? The Mercy Seat. Notice that God anointed him to do that. The word ‘cover’ means’ to protect’; ‘to guard’, but rather than protect it, Satan wanted to sit on it, himself—he wanted to take the place of Jesus! What arrogance. What pride!) “and I have set thee so:” (‘I created you; gave you all this beauty and this high office’) “Thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.” God is saying, ‘You have been on My own altar.’ You see, Satan was God’s son, too, but he went terribly bad, so God had to sentence him to die. Think about that. God is so fair! He deals with each of us in perfect fairness, and we get what we deserve. He gives all His children every opportunity to repent of their sins, and He would have done the same for Satan, had he repented, but he didn’t.

Ezek. 28:15 “Thou wast perfect” (upright, or complete) “in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity” (perversity) “was found in thee.” God created him, and everything about him was just right. What God has said is, ‘I made you the full pattern. You were something else!’ Only Jesus has higher credentials. But Satan stopped loving God. He started taking more interest in his own self; his own ways and doings.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.