The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Veterans Day Parade Nov. 8

A season of transformation

It’s some play

Great stories cannot exist without great narration. A good narrator moves the plot along and clarifies details for the reader. The same is true when a story is brought to…

Sports

Patrick County spoils Senior Night

Patrick County spoiled the Senior Night celebration for Comet volleyball, downing Halifax County High School three sets to two.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Nov. 27, 2013

SoVaNow.com / November 26, 2013
Ezek. 33:26 “Ye stand upon your sword, ye work abomination, and ye defile every one his neighbour’s wife: and shall ye possess the land?” The first five words of this verse describe the position that a necromancer assumed while waiting for the heathen rites to begin. The verbs ‘stand’ and ‘defile’ are masculine so they applied to the men. The verb ‘work’ is feminine and refers to the women, so, this verse applies to all of them. Father is saying to Ezekiel, “Ask them, ‘With all your sinful ways, do you think you deserve to own the land of Promise?”

Ezek. 33:27 “Say thou thus unto them, ‘Thus saith the Lord God; As I live, surely they that are in the wastes shall fall by the sword, and him that is in the open field will I give to the beasts to be devoured, and they that be in the forts and in the caves shall die of the pestilence.” God has had enough of their disobedience. They have been taught and they have been warned. They know better, they have made their choices, and the time has come for it to cease.

Ezek. 33:28 “For I will lay the land most desolate, and the pomp of her strength shall cease; and the mountains of Israel shall be desolate, that none shall pass through.” God allowed the captivity of the city of Jerusalem and her people. This would never have happened had the people not forsaken God and turned to idol-worship. Because of sin in our world today, He will allow the captivity of Jerusalem again in the near future, when Antichrist takes it over to be his headquarters for the Tribulation period. Nebuchadnezzar was not powerful enough in his day to take it, and Satan will not be powerful enough to pull it off either. Both events are in God’s plan—He allows it. Why? Read on...

Ezek. 33:29 “Then shall they know that I am the Lord, when I have laid the land most desolate because of all their abominations which they have committed.” The people are responsible for it. They have forsaken God and it was pay day. What God wanted from them, and what He wants from us is to know that He is God. He wants us to depend on Him, trust Him and believe that He is able and willing to be our “Jehovah-jireh”, our Provider-God (Genesis 22:14). We are just as guilty of turning our backs on Him as were the children of Israel. In our modern-day times, most people are too educated and too sophisticated to worship a stick carved in the shape of some animal or human parts, but we sure do lavish our time and affection on a variety of other things.

Ezek. 33:30 “Also, thou son of man,” (speaking of Ezekiel) “the children of thy People still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, ‘Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the Lord.” (31) “And they come unto thee as the People cometh, and they sit before thee as My People, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness.” Father is telling Ezekiel that the people will come to hear him speak. They talk about Ezekiel behind his back and still call themselves God’s people, so they will gather together as usual. They will greet you and one another in the loving manner they always show. And, they will be quiet and polite and appear to be listening, but they won’t adhere to a single word He gives them. What a picture of modern-day Christians. Many people dutifully attend church every time the doors open. They sit through the sermons and the Sunday school class while their thoughts are on dinner cooking on the stove at home, to which restaurant they ought to go after all of this is over, or some event they plan to attend later. There are many thoughts that can enter one’s mind and replace the message God has intended us to have. We waste so much of God’s time! Oh, the patience of our Merciful Father!

Ezek. 33:32 “And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not.” God continues telling Ezekiel what to expect when he returns to preaching to the people.

‘They will hear what you say, but it will go in one ear and out the other. They are going to enjoy hearing you speak like they would when listening to a beautiful song or hearing the soothing sound of a musical instrument. The problem is that they won’t pay any attention to the message, and they won’t live by it.’ It seems that for them it’s their duty to listen to the Word of God, and it’s a pleasant way to spend the time, but, that’s the end of it.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.