The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SOL test scores: Mixed bag

Halifax makes the grade half of the time with passing rates, but dropoffs outnumber gains

Judge nixes lawsuit by motorsports instructor

Case dismissed after Wilborn contested firing

Jobless rate rises to 8.8 percent in July

Halifax County’s unemployment rate jumped from 8.3 percent in June to 8.8 percent in July. Over 900 people left the labor force, which numbered 15,974 in June, but fell to…

Sports

Comets fall in opener to Jefferson Forest

A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Bible Study by Dena Stevens for Nov. 29, 2012

SoVaNow.com / November 29, 2012
(Ezek. 23:17) “And the Babylonians came to her into the bed of love, and they defiled her with their whoredom, and she was polluted with them,” (filled, spoiled) “and her mind” (her soul) “was alienated from them.” They had what they wanted and they broke off the relationship with her. Sin is like that. There is pleasure in sin for a season; it appeals to the flesh, but it takes a toll on the body, soul and spirit.

(Ezek. 23:18) “So she discovered her whoredoms, and discovered her nakedness:” (she discovered that she had gone off of God’s plan, but she did not repent nor change her ways) “then My mind was alienated from her, like as My mind was alienated from her sister.” They didn’t repent, but if they had, God would have honored it and forgiven them. Instead, He said, ‘I now set myself away from her, just like I did with her sister.’

(Ezek. 23:19) “Yet she multiplied her whoredoms, in calling to remembrance the days of her youth, wherein she had played the harlot in the land of Egypt.” Not only did Israel not repent; Judah didn’t either. In fact, she even sunk deeper into idolatry; even going back into the same old practices that they had in Egypt.

(Ezek. 23:20) “For she doted upon their paramours” (this is a woman’s illicit lover or man’s mistress—in Hebrew, it’s ‘concubines’) “whose flesh is as the flesh of asses, and whose issue is like the issue of horses.” God has such a straightforward way to get His message across so we can understand. In the Hebrew, it says, ‘She acts like a bunch of animals in heat.’ Chasing after false religions—if you don’t think it still happens today, just go into any religious book store and see what they have on the bookshelves for new, unsuspecting Christians to buy. A Christian who is grounded in the Word of God can read anything they want to read and not be carried away with strange doctrines. But for the young Christian, it is easy to be “tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine” (Ephesians 4:11-14).

(Ezek. 23:21) “Thus thou callest to remembrance the lewdness of thy youth”, (that’s things that happened back in Egypt) “in bruising thy teats by the Egyptians for the paps of thy youth”. God is saying, ‘You haven’t changed all that much. You still have false prophets among you teaching false doctrines, and you listen to them.

(Ezek. 23:22) “Therefore, O Aholibah, (Judah), Thus saith the Lord God; behold I will raise up thy lovers against thee, from whom thy mind is alienated, and I will bring them against thee on every side;“ This did come to pass in history, but it’s going to happen again in our generation.

(Ezek. 23:23) “The Babylonians, and all the Chaldeans, Pekod, and Shoah, and Koa, and all the Assyrians with them: all of them desirable young men, captains and rulers, great lords and renowned, all of them riding upon horses.” So, what’s new? In our day, when someone or something has a big title, our people are impressed, and sometimes the way a person is impressed by a little notoriety can affect the way they pay attention to their own spiritual life. We make super-heroes of sports figures, movie stars, and other people with big name recognition, but who live immoral lives, flaunting it on television and in magazines. Impressed to the point of accepting that kind of behavior as something to envy, they see the glamour and fame, but ignore the sinfulness, and in most cases, the ruined lives it brings to those who practice such life styles. God’s Word not only tells us the way we ought to live; it tells us the consequences, and what to expect when we fail to do it.

(Ezek. 23:24) “And they shall come against thee with chariots, wagons, and wheels,” (all their ammunition; false doctrine) “and with an assembly of people,” (lots of people) “which shall set against thee buckler and shield and helmet round about: and I will set judgment before them, and they shall judge thee according to their judgments.” In other words, God is going to allow it to happen. In this case, God is not doing the judging; He’s allowing the false religions to do it. When you are judged according to the judgments of the world, you usually get an unfair verdict, but God’s judgment is righteous. When does this happen in our generation? It happens when antichrist comes to rule during the tribulation (Rev. 12:1-9).

(Ezek. 23:25) “And I will set My jealousy against thee, and they shall deal furiously with thee: thy shall take away thy nose and thine ears” (your senses): “and thy remnant shall fall by the sword: they shall take thy sons and thy daughters;” (into harlotry—worshipping Satan) “and thy residue shall be devoured by the fire.” A time of testing is coming upon this world, and the signs are pointing to it happening very soon. Satan will come in the role of Antichrist, which means ‘Instead-of-Jesus’. He is coming claiming to be Christ; he will set up headquarters in Jerusalem and entice people to worship him. Many will, even Christians, because they have been taught that Jesus is coming to fly them to heaven before the antichrist comes. They have what is called ‘the mark of the beast’ in their foreheads, meaning they really believe it—they have it in their minds. They will be so carried away with him, that they work to get everyone else they know to worship him, also. Hands are what we use to work with, and that’s what it means to have ‘the mark of the beast in their hands’. People had better wake up to see where we are in this generation.

This is very serious business—souls are in the balance. It’s late in the game, so don’t be caught unprepared.

(Ezek. 23:26) “They shall also strip thee out of thy clothes, and take away thy fair jewels.” How much business will a prostitute have without her fancy get-up? They are expected to dress the part, wearing lots of make-up and jewelry. Without these seductive trappings, she’s not going to have much business.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.