South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
04/28/16 - 6:19 am
04/28/16 - 6:08 am
04/28/16 - 6:04 am
04/27/16 - 1:53 pm
- More A&E
Calvary UMC to hold 131st anniversary Sunday
SoVaNow.com / August 15, 2013Calvary United Methodist Church invites members and friends to their 131st anniversary Homecoming on Sunday, Aug. 18 at 11 a.m. Speaker will be our pastor, Rev. Ralph Kelly Hawkins. Hawkins came to Calvary on June 30 and he was also appointed to Kerns UMC in Sutherlin. Hawkins lives in Danville with his wife Kathy and their four children. He is an associate professor at Averett University and head of the Religion department. The service will include special music and a covered dish luncheon.
Calvary Church is located on Hwy. 119, Calvary Road, two miles off Rt. 58. Before the original Calvary Methodist Church was built in 1882, people worshipped at an outdoor arbor with a handmade altar and slabs from the local sawmill as pews. The church was located in the Delila community. In charge of five churches, the pastor rode on horseback to Calvary once a month to preach. The wooden church was built on land deeded by Leonard Williamson. Other members donated logs for the one room structure. A large wood burning stove at the front of the sanctuary kept the church warm. The pine pews were handmade and hammered together with cut nails for strength. Rev. Benjamin Herrink was the first pastor of record (1882-1884) coming to the church from the Patrick charge. In 1944, plans for a new building were begun at the cost of $15,280. Money was raised with stews, box suppers, tobacco crops, and monetary donations. The brick building was completed in 1949 on the same spot as the original church. Features of the new church included three classrooms and a 120 seat auditorium.
In 2011, new lights were installed in the sanctuary and a steeple light was added. The lights were given in memory of Alex Williamson, by his family, from a special memorial fund set up in his name. Alex loved and faithfully served the church. In 2012, we had new windows installed in the fellowship hall. Throughout the year, as mission projects, we donate to God’s Storehouse and the Henry Fork Center for Underprivileged Children. In the fall, we have our annual stew and bake sale. We welcome all to our friendly little church in the country.
News & Record