The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Parsons-Bruce Art Association begins membership drive

Halifax County kicks off community strategic planning effort

Michael delivers stiff blow to area

Sports

Michael forces delay of game penalty

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Clover New for the week of Feb. 15-21

SoVaNow.com / February 24, 2009
By Faye Edmondson
(For the week February 15-21)
Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude "Victory in Jesus" played by Lee Snead. Call to worship was "Surely the Presence of the Lord Is In This Place" by the choir. Mary Tharpe, Certified Lay Speaker, has welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led the responsive reading from Psalm 30. Hymn of praise was "My Hope is Built." Mary read I Corinthians 9: 24-27 and had joys and concerns, pastoral prayer and the Lord's prayer. Call to prayer was "Seek Ye First" by the choir. Offertory hymn was "When We All Get to Heaven." Ushers were Tim and Eric Snead. Special music was "Tell Me the Story of Jesus" by the choir. Hymn of preparation was "Marching to Zion" followed by the Apostles Creed. Faye Edmondson had youth time "Love." Scripture reading was Exodus 3: 7-15 and Mary's message "God Calls Moses." Hymn of celebration was "Soon and Very Soon." Mary had closing prayer. Benediction was "Threefold Amen."
Worship service at Clover UMC opened with the prelude "I Will Serve Thee" played by Joyce Edmondson and Mary Tharpe. Call to worship was "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" by the choir. Mary Tharpe had welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led the responsive reading from Psalm 30. Hymn of praise was "My Hope is Built." Mary read I Corinthians 9: 24-27. Special music by the Clover Quintet was "I'm Free." Mary had joys and concerns, prayer and the Lord's prayer. Call to prayer was "When You Pray" by the choir. Offertory hymn was "No One Ever Cared For Me Like Jesus." Ushers were Edd Edmondson and Gary Watts. Special music by the choir was "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." Brenda Conner had youth time and theme "Love and the Heart." Hymn of preparation was "Marching to Zion." Scripture reading was Exodus 3: 7-15 and Mary's message "God Calls Moses." Hymn of celebration was "Soon and Very Soon" followed by the Apostles Creed. Mary had closing prayer. Benediction was "Bond of Love."
Prayer list: Maurine Ligon, Hugh and T.T. Edmondson, Kelly McKinney, Madeline Moorefield, Thomas Snead, Owen Francis, Laura Ligon, Frances Woltz, Mike Ligon, Jane Buchanan, Lois Lewis, Ruth Moorefield, Elizabeth Carter Martin, Nellie Ford, Catherine Heath, Mildred Seay, Lillian Snead, Dick and Hilda Watts, Frances Bragg, Bill Scott, Donna Bunn, Dorothy Conner, Nancy Adams, Diane Austin, Harvey Bomar, Angie Pizzeck brooks, Florine Bomar, Lewis Chappell, Jeanette Ligon, Erin Pizzeck Dang, Ethan Blanks, Eva Guill, Daisy Glass, Billy Granger, Nell Guthrie, Jerry Kean, Sally Landrum, Ethan Lloyd, Butch Moorefield, Wayne Newcomb, Louise Weston, Michelle Womack, Bonnie Comer, Patricia Franklin, Donna Lowery, Justin Talley, Jerry Messick, Pete Newton, Sam Comer, Farris Hudson, Nancy Nichols.
Our sincere sympathy to the family and friends of Sandy Troy Chandler.
Juanita Smiley visited Maurine Ligon, Sarah Conner and Gladys Smiley at Woodview last week. Meria Harris and Juanita Smiley enjoyed lunch on Sunday and later visited Kelly and Louise McKinney. Juanita Smiley visited Ruth Deerns in Wylliesburg Sunday.
Cecil Tharpe and Lewis Wade visited Harvey Bomar during the week. On Saturday, Willie and Angie Privette and Harvey Bomar enjoyed the Valentine's party at Clover UMC.
Recent visitors of Florine Bomar in the hospital were Juanita Smiley, Tommy and Dee Bomar, Jackie and Margaret Fallen, Marian Wilkerson, Ralph and Inez Fallen, Willie and Angie Privette, Jeff Bomar, Brandon Bomar, Jimmy and Betty Bomar, Roy Bomar and Chris.
Recent visitors of Hugh and T.T. Edmondson were Sandra Terry, Mary and Cecil Tharpe, Juanita Smiley.
Jason and Chandler Toombs and Faye Edmondson enjoyed dinner at Wendy's Thursday.
Clover UMC hosted a spaghetti dinner Saturday.
Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating this week. Have a happy and safe week!

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.