The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

GROWING UP WITH JIM CROW

Life for white author and his black namesake in segregated Southside was a study in contrasts

Halifax County IDA holds off grant request for industry prospect

Flotilla clean-up on Banister River postponed to Oct. 20

Sports

Comets open district play

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Clover News for April 11, 2016

SoVaNow.com / April 11, 2016

(For the week April 3)

Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “He Did It All For Me” played by Lee Snead. Call to worship was “Burdens Are Lifted at Calvary” by the choir and Rev. Kerry Halbert had welcome remarks and announcements with hymn of praise “Crown Him With Many Crowns.” Offertory hymn was “I Am Bound for the Promised Land” and choir anthem was “Beyond the Sunset.” Rev. Halbert read Acts 5: 27-32 and his message “Staying True in Difficult Times.” Sacraments of Holy Communion were observed with Sue Snead assisting. Communion hymn was “Fill My Cup Lord” and hymn of response “O Master, Let Me Walk With Thee.” Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing and benediction was “Bond of Love.” Tim Snead was usher and acolyte.

Worship service at Clover UMC opened with the prelude “I Believe in a Hill Called Calvary” played by Joyce Edmondson. Call to worship was “The Family of God” by the choir and Rev. Halbert had welcome remarks and announcements with hymn of praise “Love Divine All Loves Excelling.” Offertory hymn was “The Wonder of It All” and ushers were Edd Edmondson and Jim Smith. Choir anthem was “Have Faith in God” and Rev. Halbert read Acts 5: 27-32 and his message “Staying True in Difficult Times.” Closing hymn was “Trust and Obey” and Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing, benediction was “Blest Be the Tie that Binds.” Megan Martin and Abby Martin were acolytes.

Special prayers for the sick, shut-ins, our troops and Mike Ligon, Rob Woodfin, Meria Harris, Tim Thornburg, Wanda Thornburg, Alfred Ligon, Thomas Snead, Wayne Newcomb, Helen Watts, Loretta Tharpe, Reid Roller, Frances Wilson, Nelson Wilson, Ann Womack, Frances Womack, Teresa Farley, Jackie Chappell, Billy Rickman, Michelle Womack, Hubcap Comer, Bonnie Comer, Hazel Tuck, David Comer, Judy Rice, Porsha Womack, Dale Compton, Tommy Francis, Kenneth Richardson, Lynwood Martin.

Sympathy to the family and friends of June Barksdale Moser, Frances Pulliam Gittman, Annie McCormick Womack and C.B. Dixon.

Faye Edmondson, Jason and Chandler Toombs enjoyed breakfast at Bojangles Friday.

Charles Ferguson and Faye Edmondson visited Hubcap, Bonnie and Zora Comer Sunday.

Congratulations to Tommy and Bobbi Francis on their wedding.

Clover UMC hosts a stew at the church April 16 at 11:00 a.m. and a Beans and Jeans meal April 30 at 5:00 p.m.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating this week.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.