The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Veterans Day Parade Nov. 8

A season of transformation

It’s some play

Great stories cannot exist without great narration. A good narrator moves the plot along and clarifies details for the reader. The same is true when a story is brought to…

Sports

Comets routed by Magna Vista

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Clover News for Aug. 21, 2014

SoVaNow.com / August 21, 2014

Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “Be Thou My Vision” played by Lee Snead. The call to worship was “Bind Us Together” by the choir. Rev. Kerry Halbert had welcome remarks and announcements. Hymn of praise was “He Leadeth Me, O Blessed Thought.” The offertory hymn was “Forever Reign.” Special music was “Little Black Train,” a solo by Lee. The choir anthem as “His Eye is on the Sparrow.” The youth sang “Jesus Loves Me” and “This Little Light of Mine.” Cathy Halbert told the youth message on “Joseph Forgives His Brothers.”

Rev. Halbert read Genesis 45: 1-15 and his message was on “God Works In Mysterious Ways.” The hymn of dedication was “Great Is Thy Faithfulness.” Rev. Halbert had joys and concerns, prayer and led the Lord’s Prayer. The closing hymn was “Standing On the Promises.” Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing and the benediction was “Blest Be The Tie That Binds.” Tim Snead was the usher and acolyte.

Worship service at Clover UMC opened with the prelude “Why Do I Sing About Jesus?” played by Joyce Edmondson. The call to worship was “More Precious Than Silver” by the choir. Rev. Halbert had welcome remarks and announcements. The hymn of praise was “My Faith Looks Up To Thee.” The offertory hymn was “Just A Closer Walk With Thee.” Ushers were Ed Edmondson and Jim Smith. The choir anthem was “Little Is Much When God Is In It.” Rev. Halbert read Genesis 45 1-15 and his message was on “God Works In Mysterious Ways,” The hymn of dedication was “Great Is Thy Faithfulness.” Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing and the benediction was “Learning To Lean.” The acolyte was Summer Martin and Reese Wooding. Remember the sick and shut-ins and our troops including Mike Ligon, Tom Thornburg, Thomas Snead, Michael Wilmouth, Wayne Newcomb, Jessica Terry, Meghan Weatherford, Reid Roller, J. B. Kerns, Billy Ligon, Mike Toombs, Betty Thornburg, David Comer, Dale Compton, Kenny Wayne Rice, Debbie Minor, and Doug Estes.

Our sympathy to the family and friends of Ethel Terry and Watt Moorefield.

Gayle Conner and Joyce Francis hosted an ice cream social at Scottsburg UMC on Sunday afternoon which was enjoyed by all.

Happy birthday wishes go out to Leslie Daniel, Shane Holt, Wanda Thornburg, Jeremy Wade, Chris Baynes and Edward Cole.

Happy anniversary to those celebrating.

Juanita Smiley visited with Faye Edmondson and family on Thursday afternoon. Michelle Womack and Jason Toombs visited with Mike Toombs in the hospital during the week.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.