The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

100 years a Buffalo Soldier

South Boston resident Raymond Shelton celebrated a milestone many of us may never reach. On Aug. 20, Ray Shelton turned 100.

Recycling center fire causes $10,000 in damage

FIGHTING HUNGER

Halifax County food pantries form coalition

Sports

Cross country looking to fill holes

Halifax County High School cross country has some holes to fill in its lineup of girls and boys harriers.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Clover News for Jan. 27, 2014

SoVaNow.com / January 27, 2014

Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “Somebody Loves Me” played by Lee Snead. The call to worship was “Holy God, We Praise Thy Name” by the choir. Rev. Kerry Halbert had welcome remarks and announcements. The hymn of praise was “There’s Within My Heart A Melody.” The offertory hymn was “God So Loved The World.” The choir anthem was “Praise Him! Praise Him!” Rev. Halbert read Psalm 40 and his message on “The Benefits of Being Christian.” The hymn of dedication was “Here I Am Lord.” Rev. Halbert had joys and concerns, prayer and led the Lord’s Prayer. The closing hymn was “Just As I Am, Without One Plea.” Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing and the benediction was “Bond of Love.” Tim Snead was the usher and acolyte.

Worship service at Clover UMC opened with the prelude “I Then Shall Live” played by Joyce Edmondson. The call to worship was “He Is Lord” by the choir. Rev. Halbert had welcome remarkds and announcements. The offertory hymn was “Something For Thee.” Ushers were Edd Edmondson and David Conner. The Quartet special by Doll Newcomb, Carlton Williams and Allan Anderson was “How Long Has It Been?” The choir anthem was “His Eye Is On The Sparrrow.” The hymn of praise was “Rescue The Pershing.” Rev. Halbert read Psalm 40 and his message was on “The Benefits of Being Christian.” The hymn of dedication was “I Love To Tell The Story.” Rev. Halbert had joys and concerns, prayer and led the Lord’s Prayer. The closing hymn was “Just As I Am, Without One Plea.” Rev. Halbert had dismissal blessing and the benediction was “Threefold Amen.” Reese Wooding was the acolyte.

Remember the sick and shut-ins and our troops and Anthony Glass, Mike Ligon, Rob Woodfin, Thomas Snead, Gayle Conner, Mike Toombs, Hazel Tuck, David Comer, Dale Compton, Porsha Seate, Raleigh Wilkerson, Wayne Newcomb, Judy Scott, Herbert Comer, Bennie Comer, Zack Cole, Annie Womack, Ann Womack, Rayleigh Crouch and Reid Roller.

Our sympathy to the family and friends of Leonard Rudolph Griles, Mary Frances Whitt Cole, Brann Womack, Mary Maude Jones Warren, Evelyn Crews Tune King and Charles Harris.

Makayla Vassar recently visited with Angie Privette.

Willie and Angie Privette celebrated their anniversary at O’Charley Restaurant in Lynchburg on Sunday afternoon.

Juanita Smiley visited with the sick in the hospital and later visited with Raleigh and Christine Wilkerson.

Happy birthday wishes go out to Evan Snead, Betty Anderson, Raleigh Wilkerson, Ricky Comer, David Comer, Jason Toombs, Linda Williams and Jason Lloyd.

Happy anniversary to Willie and Angie Privette.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.