The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SOL test scores: Mixed bag

Halifax makes the grade half of the time with passing rates, but dropoffs outnumber gains

Judge nixes lawsuit by motorsports instructor

Case dismissed after Wilborn contested firing

Jobless rate rises to 8.8 percent in July

Halifax County’s unemployment rate jumped from 8.3 percent in June to 8.8 percent in July. Over 900 people left the labor force, which numbered 15,974 in June, but fell to…

Sports

Comets fall in opener to Jefferson Forest

A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Clover News for March 4, 2013

SoVaNow.com / March 04, 2013
Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “I’m On My Way” played by Allan Anderson. Call to worship was “This Is the Day” by the choir. Rev. Marsha Davis had welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led the preparation for worship. Special music was a solo “Little Is Much When God Is In It” by Allan. Hymn of praise was “To God be The Glory.” Offertory hymn was “His Name is Wonderful.” Ushers were Tim and Eric Snead. Choir anthem was “What a Day That Will Be.” Rev. Davis led the prayer of illumination and read Genesis 15: 1-12, 17-18 and her message “When We Are Uncertain About the Future.” She had confession and praises, concerns, prayer and led the Lord’s prayer. Closing hymn was “I Am Thine O Lord.” Rev. Davis had dismissal blessing and benediction was “Bond of Love.” Tim Snead was acolyte.

Worship service at Clover UMC opened with the prelude “Lead Me to Calvary” by Joyce Edmondson. Call to worship “The Family of God” by the choir. Rev. Davis had welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led preparation for worship. Hymn of praise was “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing.” Offertory hymn was “Like a River Glorious.” Ushers were Edd Edmondson and David Conner. Choir anthem was “The Wonder of it All.” Rev. Davis led the prayer of illumination and read Genesis 15: 1-12, 17-18 and her message “When We Are Uncertain About the Future.” She led confession and praises, concerns, prayer and the Lord’s prayer. Closing hymn was “I Am Thine O Lord.” Rev. Davis had dismissal blessing and benediction was “Blest Be the Tie That Binds.” Debbie Glover and Wanda Snead were acolytes.

Remember the sick and shut-ins, including Tommy Francis, Betty M. Womack, Charlotte E. Lloyd, Dorothy Ann Dance, Kyle Martin, Judy Lacks, Bernice Wall, Keith Fisher, Joe Watts.

Our heartfelt sympathy to the family and friends of Gladys Yancey Franklin, Cotton Lowery, Roy Carter.

Visiting in the home of Hugh Edmondson were Michelle, Sierra and Curt Womack, Lauren Comer, Juanita Smiley, Jason and Chandler Toombs.

Faye Edmondson, Jason and Chandler Toombs enjoyed eating at Long John Silvers Friday.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to those celebrating this week.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.