The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

After attack, student pleads for changes from Mecklenburg County School Board

Sex crimes suspect pleads guilty, faces up to 285 year term

Work set to begin on Groom School Apartments project

Sports

Comets prepare to play four games in three weeks

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Danny Lawson: SVCC Middle College success story

Danny Lawson
SoVaNow.com / October 06, 2009
By Stephanie Tucker Lewis
Special to the News & Record

Danny Lawson can finally say that he did it. In August 2009, Danny completed the requirements to attain his GED certificate. I was so excited when Ms. Lewis called to tell me the news. All I could say was thank you, he said.

Stephanie Lewis worked with Lawson through the Middle College Program of Southside Virginia Community College located at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center in South Boston.

Like many young parents, Lawson dropped out of high school to take care of his son and to find a job. He has worked at Dollar General, Buffalo Wild Wings, and OSullivan to make sure he met all of his sons needs.

I needed to take care of my son. He was my priority. I should have finished my GED sooner but I just wasnt applying myself, Lawson said as he looked back reflecting his experience in the various GED programs. Middle College just worked for me. I enjoyed coming to class and knew if I needed anything Ms. Lewis was there to help and guide me, he said with a smile.

Lawson enrolled in the Middle College program only needing to complete two subject areas to meet the expectations of the GED. He admits to being nervous for a little while but never scared about taking the actual test. He attended classes on a regular basis and even asked to take supplementary material home to study on his own.

He has already taken the next step towards further improving his life by completing his financial aid forms to prepare for enrolling in the spring semester of SVCC.

Getting my GED has opened doors for me that I thought were not possible. The next step is to finish school and to encourage my brother and sister into getting their GED certificates, Lawson said. I believe getting my GED has inspired others in my family to possibly pursue getting theirs.

When asked if there was any advice he would pass on to someone who was debating on enrolling in the GED program, Lawson said with ease, Be patient and pay attention. It is not difficult and there are plenty of people who are willing to help you out.

Lawson is proud of himself for reaching this goal and looking forward to the upcoming challenges of going to college. He gives credit to his grandmother and mother for encouraging him during this journey. They always encouraged me to do my best and to not give up and those words stuck with me, he stated.

If you are 18 to 24 years old and are ready to enhance your education and career contact the SVCC Middle College program to enroll in classes. You can contact Sherri Reichel at 572-5485 or Stephanie Tucker Lewis at 572-5483 for more information. The Middle College and Adult Education GED programs are location at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center, 820 Bruce Street in downtown South Boston.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.