The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

No let-up in recriminations for Mecklenburg County School Board

Trustees argue over call to oust Bullock, Thornton; lawyer intervenes

Clarksville recognizes volunteer effort

Nunn named recipient of Kathleen Walker Lifetime Achievement Award

Clarksville makes list of Top 10 Virginia destinations for Christmas vibe

Sports

Comets easily handle Tunstall 57-39

Face Person Saturday in final tuneup before Classic

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Eighth Whole Woman Conference coming to Clarksville Jan. 25, 26

SoVaNow.com / November 14, 2012
The eighth annual Whole Woman Conference will be held Jan. 25-26, at the Enrichment Complex at the YMCA located on Noblin Road in Clarksville. The theme of this year’s conference is “After the Apple – Lies, Love, Life”.

The mission of the Whole Woman Conference is to invite all women to come aside and experience the life changing love of Christ and reaches out to accomplish this mission by holding a week-end retreat in January each year.

“NOISE, that’s what fills our world and our heads today – lot’s of NOISE” says Jane Lyon, head of the Whole Woman Conference and Worship Leader. “To quote a song by Twila Paris, ‘There are many wondrous voices, day and night they fill the air…’ How true! The problem is, woven in and through those ‘wondrous voices’ (noise) are life-robbing LIES! Our theme verse this year says it well, ‘I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by its cunning, your thoughts (also) will be led astray…’ 2 Corinthians 11:3.”

“As we gather for the eighth annual Whole Woman Conference we will identify and discuss together the subtle deception (cunning) that threatens to destroy us. This cunning threatens to destroy us spiritually, emotionally, relationally, financially and physically. But we will not stop there; we will also discover together the LIFE giving LOVE that is able to triumph over the noise, the voices, the LIES!” explained Jane.

Any of these voices sound familiar? … “One bite. Go on girl. You deserve it” … “You’re okay, it’s their fault!” … “You’ve done it now! You’ve passed the point of no return!” … “You are washed up. Used goods. Unlovely and unlovable.” Ever thought, “How did I get here? How do I go back?” Come….as we discover together the Good News that there is LIFE After the Apple!!

“This year,” Lyon said, “as I prepare for our time together in January, music has been paramount. Specifically, the project (CD) by Nicole Nordeman entitled ‘Brave’ as well as the song by Sara Groves, ‘Generations’ has been instrumental in helping me prepare for this conference.”

“I never cease to be amazed at how God speaks to and through others!” she said. “This has certainly been true as I continue to prepare for this January conference. The overall planning, as well as our time together the weekend of the Conference, is a living demonstration of how EVERYONE is created and gifted by God. Together we are much greater than we are individually.”

In response to recommendations from previous attendees, the schedule for this year’s conference has been adjusted to make it more convenient for all to attend. Friday evening registration and check-in begins at 6 p.m. and will include heavy hors d’oeuvres. The program will follow at 7 p.m. and will end at 8:30 p.m. Saturday morning will begin at 8 a.m. with breakfast and late registration/check-in for those unable to attend Friday. The program will resume at 9 a.m. and will end at 5:30 p.m. with lunch provided. The registration fee for the conference is $65 and includes all meals which are being catered by Carol’s Southern Catering in Clarksville. Also, for those needing overnight accommodations, The Best Western on the Lake continues to provide a special room rate for conference attendees.

In addition to sessions provided by Lyon, attendees will be entertained by Betty Rodenhizer (better known of a “Miss Betty”), retired director of nursery/preschool at Clarksville Baptist Church, as she shares some of her many funny stories collected over the years.

As has been the custom at the Whole Woman Conferences, the conference will close with communion. Susan Blakely, a registered nurse and volunteer chaplain, will serve as Communion Leader.

For those interested in attending, full details about the conference can be obtained by going to our website http://www.wholewomanconference.com/ or by contacting Vera Jo Springer at 434-374-5256. Registration deadline is Jan. 18, and can be completed online or by mail.

Gift certificates are also available so individuals can give registrations as Christmas, birthday or anniversary gifts.

In addition, contributions may be made to provide registration for individuals who would otherwise not be able to attend.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.