The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Local job scene brightens

South Boston to consider budget requests

Meadows tapped as VDOT district engineer

Sports

Putts For Paws golf outing on April 25 raises money for new animal shelter

Friday, April 25 will be the perfect dog day afternoon — and morning — when golfers take to the links at Kinderton Country Club in Clarksville for the 11th annual…

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Kathy’s Column for Dec. 27, 2012

SoVaNow.com / December 26, 2012
THE TIME HAS COME TO SAY GOOD-BY…THIS IS MY LAST “KATHY’S CORNER”…AND, EVEN THOUGH THERE HAVE BEEN 676 “CORNERS”, I WILL ALWAYS MISS YOU WONDERFUL READERS…EACH OF YOU HAVE BEEN A LOVELY BLESSING IN MY LIFE … !!!

ONE MORE TIME…I’M SO THANKFUL TO HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SHARE MY THOUGHTS FOR 13 YEARS, AND THE MEMORIES WILL REMAIN AS SOME OF MY GREATEST BLESSINGS EVER … !!!

OKAY, IT’S TIME TO GET DOWN TO BUSINESS AND SHARE A FEW MORE HOPEFULLY MEANINGFUL IDEAS … before I sign off. I’ve said numerous times how much I love to share thoughts from so many great and famous people, some not so famous perhaps but nevertheless they are words that continue to be helpful as we each go along our individual life’s journey.

SINCE MY HUSBAND AND I ARE RETIRING, I WILL BEGIN WITH SOME … words from R.W., “Faithful servants never retire. You can retire from your career, but you will never retire from serving God”. I pray for us that kind of retirement wherever we may go.

THE NEWTOWN CONN.. SADNESS … will continue to weigh heavy on our hearts forever. We need to hold the hands in our hearts and prayers for all those suffering. In the words of our President, “We must remember that compromise on behalf of the greater good”, needs to be in the forefront as we figure out a way to stop such horror from happening again. (This also applies to the “Fiscal Cliff” we as a nation find ourselves in.) “We are always looking for justice, yet the essence of the teaching of the Sermon on the Mount is-Never look for justice, but never cease to give it.”-Oswald Chambers. Good advice we must not forget to implement no matter what the situation. The victims of terrible natural disasters, the victims of endless Wars all require us to Never Forget and to do what we can to help alleviate some of the sadness they are feeling and going through.

I’M GOING TO SHARE ANOTHER RETIREMENT, GETTING OLDER STORY … this from Ruth Bell Graham, “I was tucking one of my children into bed one night, and leaned down to kiss him goodnight. He looked closely at my face with a delighted smile on his face and said, “It looks just like sunshine”. I asked, “What looks like sunshine”? He then took his tiny fingers and gently touched the lines going out from the corners of my eyes. With such an observation, how could anyone mind growing old.” That’s another good reason to retire, spending more time with my grandchildren and giving them the gift of seeing so much “sunshine” on this old face.

“THINKING IS WHAT A GREAT MANY PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE DOING WHEN THEY ARE MERELY REARRANGING THEIR PREJUDICE.”…William James “In a conversation, keep in mind that you are more interested in what you have to say than anyone else is.”- Andy Rooney. The preceding two pieces of advice are something I hope never to forget as I continue this earthly journey.

I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT I AM HALF DONE WITH THIS COLUMN AND HAVE LITERALLY TONS MORE THAT I WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU...

I WAS AT LUNCH WITH A FRIEND AND HER FATHER-IN-LAW RECENTLY … when two elderly gentlemen stopped at our table as they were leaving the restaurant. They had noticed the military hat my friend was wearing and said to him, “We appreciate your service Sir.” Wow, another thing to remember to do when we find ourselves in the company of one of our nations’s hero’s who keep us safe and free. “One flag, one land, one heart, one hand, one nation evermore.”- Oliver Wendell Holmes

HERE COME THE TEARS AGAIN, THIS SAYING GOOD-BY IS NEVER EASY … please know that the wonderful letters, cards, calls, e-meals, and visits will remain in my heart and mind always and that wonderful Halifax County, Virginia will never be gone from my thoughts and prayers. GOD BLESS AND KEEP YOU ALL SAFE AND WELL. I love you. ( Perhaps I’ll send an update sometime, as one of my dear co-workers suggested, so we can keep in touch.)…???

THERE, I’VE SIGNED OFF EARLY AND CAN NOW CONCENTRATE ON WHAT OTHER TIDBITS OF INFORMATION … need to be shared like these words from the Declaration of Independence, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that ALL Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness…)

“LIFE IS A SONG, LOVE IS THE MUSIC” … anonymous

“MEN WILL WRANGLE FOR RELIGION, WRITE FOR IT, DIE FOR IT, ANYTHING BUT LIVE FOR IT.”-copied (let’s ponder that truth and see how we stack up) Remember never give up or never give in, unless it is the only right thing to do.

FOLLOWING ARE A FEW MORE THINGS I FEEL THE NEED TO SHARE, … (and all copied from someone, as I don’t have the ability to come up with such fantastic ideas on my own) “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” “A baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on.” “In a baby’s eyes, the wonder of creation shines: the miracle of new life fresh from heaven, of a new soul God has blessed.” “To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.” In this technical age, beware that “You affect the world by what you browse”. “Happiness in marriage, is when the independence is equal, the dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.”

RETIREMENT, “THE BEST IS YET TO BE; THE LAST OF LIFE, FOR WHICH THE FIRST WAS MADE.”-Robert Browning.

HAPPY, HAPPY 2013 TO US ALL!!!

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.