The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Halifax County school board calendar committee expands to 18

The Halifax County School Board’s calendar committee — responsible for setting the daily schedule from the first day of school to the last — is getting larger.

Banister River clean-up float slated Sept. 22

‘Make sure the dollars are there,’ supes urged

Chamber director voices support for raising school construction budget

Sports

Comets finish strong behind Franklin in district match

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Middle College Success Story - Rebecca Reagan

Rebecca Reagan and David Hill Jr.
SoVaNow.com / January 22, 2010
Rebecca Reagan dropped out of high school in eleventh grade because she did not feel she was being challenged enough. She stayed out of school for awhile before being encouraged by her boyfriend, David Hill Jr., to attend the Southside Virginia Community College Middle College Program at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center in South Boston where he is also enrolled as a student. With both of them attending the classes together they have found it helpful because they have assisted each other in preparing for the various GED tests.

“I just hated going to school so I left when I was of age,” Reagan commented. “DJ told me about the Middle College program so I enrolled. I felt supported while attending the Middle College classes.”

She worked at Wal-Mart while attending classes so she attended as often as her schedule allowed. While attending the classes, Reagan was always a diligent worker. If she did not understand something, she would ask questions so she could gain a better understanding of the material.

“Most of the material we went over in class was a quick review to better prepare me for the actual test,” she stated.

She also offered assistance to those sitting around her who might have struggled in learning a certain concept.

She is looking to start taking college courses in January. “My advice about getting your GED is that there is nothing to fear. You will have everything you need at your finger tips so just take advantage of it,” she said when discussing her personal experience with SVCC Middle College program.

If you are 18 to 24 years old and are ready to enhance your education and career contact the SVCC Middle College program to enroll in classes. You can contact Sherri Reichel at 572-5485 or Stephanie Tucker Lewis at 572-5483 for more information.

The Middle College and Adult Education GED programs are location at the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center, 820 Bruce Street in downtown South Boston.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.