The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Possession of fire bomb charged to South Boston man

A 54 year old South Boston man has been arrested and charged with the manufacture, possession or use of a fire bomb or explosive material or device. Matthew Hubbard Jr.…

FRIENDLY SKIES

Potts Landing, the area’s only gated airpark, touts wonders of flight

Big money bet on job initiative

SVHEC ramps up new Center of Excellence with $2 million grant

Sports

South Boston advances in O-Zone

Scottsburg has been eliminated in state Dixie Youth O-zone state tournament, and the South Boston allstars remain alive in the postseason event at the Day Complex.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for April 18, 2013

SoVaNow.com / April 16, 2013
After watching the events unfold at the Boston Marathon yesterday, it is difficult to contemplate the words of I John 1:5, “This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.” Well, we certainly have lots of darkness down here among us.

How do we make sense of a mentality that would purposely and willingly set off bombs among innocent people watching a sporting event? The stories that are coming out of Boston are beyond heartbreaking. There is the eight-year-old boy who was killed while waiting to see his father finish the race. His sister suffered tragic injuries and his mother probably has a brain injury. What should have been an inspirational day has been marked forever as a tragedy for that family and thousands of others.

So where is God? Certainly God was at work in those who were brave enough to charge toward the injured even when it was obvious that a second bomb had gone off and there might be others. God is at work in those whose hearts are hurting for the people who have been affected by this horrible event. But couldn’t God have prevented this from happening?

I confess that I do not have the answer to the question of evil. I do not believe that there is a completely satisfactory answer. I can give you numerous theories, some more satisfying than others. But what helps me in moments such as these is that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ came down and suffered with us. He did not ignore our pain and our despair. He took part in it and overcame it.

The message of the New Testament does not ignore suffering or hide from it. It, instead, confidently says that God is beyond evil and will take us to the other side. There is no darkness in God and there will be a day when we are completely in God and we will suffer no more. This is no mere pie in the sky bye and bye. It is a promise already fulfilled in the crucified Christ. We are not happy with evil and we adamantly oppose it. Still, we do not fear it or cower before it. We confidently run towards it because we know that there is no darkness in God and we shall overcome evil through Christ.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.