The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SOL test scores: Mixed bag

Halifax makes the grade half of the time with passing rates, but dropoffs outnumber gains

Judge nixes lawsuit by motorsports instructor

Case dismissed after Wilborn contested firing

Jobless rate rises to 8.8 percent in July

Halifax County’s unemployment rate jumped from 8.3 percent in June to 8.8 percent in July. Over 900 people left the labor force, which numbered 15,974 in June, but fell to…

Sports

Comets fall in opener to Jefferson Forest

A quick, athletic Jefferson Forest squad proved too potent offensively for the Halifax County High School varsity football squad Friday night, speeding past the Comets, 50-30, in South Boston.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Dec. 20, 2012

SoVaNow.com / December 18, 2012
The light of Christmas dimmed Friday due to the actions of a deranged killer in Connecticut. We are left to struggle with the ache in our heart as we consider why so many little ones had to die despite the efforts of extremely brave adults, some of whom paid with their lives, to save them. Once again America has another mass shooting to examine and the same issues to debate but this time we have tiny bodies to bury.

I have spent a lot of my time dealing with death. As a respiratory therapist, I went to more emergency calls than I can remember. As a pastor, I have seen death close up. Most of the time, I can distance myself from things enough to keep a steely perspective. Not this time. Perhaps it is because I have gotten to know the children and kindergarteners at the Day Care Center attached to our church. Just the Thursday night before the carnage, we had a Christmas program in the church where they stood up, so beautiful and young, and sang the songs of Christmas. Then children only slightly older than they are were murdered hours later.

I have three basic thoughts concerning this horrific event. One is that we cannot keep doing this. I have no problem with people owning guns. But why is it so difficult to do three things: ban assault weapons; make registration of guns and training for gun use mandatory; and require people to lock their weapons up safely. Police officers, who carry weapons daily, must follow all these rules. Are we to hold the citizenry to a much lower standard?
Second, we must do something about mental health issues in this country. Most of the time, families know that there is something going wrong with their child. They have tried to get them under control and get them help. But in order to force compliance, the person must be an obvious threat to themselves or to someone else. The proof of such a threat is too often an act such as a school shooting. Can’t we do something about that?

Finally, we cannot allow evil to triumph here or anywhere. Let’s hold up the light of Christ and of Christmas that much higher in the face of this assault. May I suggest that you do at least one good act in the name of these children each week for at least the rest of the year. No, God did not allow these children to be killed to prove a point or any other crazy reason. But He can use this event to bring forth good if we help him. Let’s bring light out of darkness for Christ.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.