The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

No let-up in recriminations for Mecklenburg County School Board

Trustees argue over call to oust Bullock, Thornton; lawyer intervenes

Clarksville recognizes volunteer effort

Nunn named recipient of Kathleen Walker Lifetime Achievement Award

Clarksville makes list of Top 10 Virginia destinations for Christmas vibe

Sports

Comets easily handle Tunstall 57-39

Face Person Saturday in final tuneup before Classic

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Feb. 6, 2014

SoVaNow.com / February 04, 2014
One of the most subtle weapons in the arsenal of the Devil is dissatisfaction. It has ruined more churches than we can ever know. The problem is that dissatisfaction is so easily rationalized away. We do want to always seek after the best for God. We never want to settle for second best when we are talking about what God deserves.

And yet, when does the quest for excellence disintegrate into mean-spirited nagging, quibbling, and second-guessing? Where do we draw the line between wanting to have the best and simply finding fault with everything that is done? Is there a happy medium between sincere and honest criticism and soul-sapping cynicism?

I know that love is supposed to be the supreme Christian value. But where is love when all we do is sit around and criticize? The sermon was too long; it was too short. The pastor never visits; he is never in his office. The music is too modern; it is too old-fashioned. Why, oh why, don’t we read the scriptures more in worship? I am so tired of all that bible reading in the service. The parking needs upgrading; the nursery is too small/old. The youth program is horrible; it is out of control.

I realize that it is impolite to point out but the church is made up of people. The power to change the church really does rest with the people who make up the church. The best way to change things is to start by stressing what is right with the church. Work with what is good and hold that up. Put your heart into that aspect of the church. Then push out into those areas where you need to improve.

The second point to stress is that you can never go wrong by being too positive with people. We like to think that we need to really lambast someone. There are people who need a good lambasting. But there are far more people who are hurting and need to feel a little love. Take the time to encourage a few people and we may never know what might happen in our churches!

I am guilty of getting negative and being too critical at times. May God forgive me for that. But his Church is his work and Bride on earth. If we want to serve God, we will serve his church. Help us to be less critical and more loving!

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.