The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

ABB donates $15,000 to Mentor Role Program, additions eyed for community center

Venture to the Treat Trail in Halifax

What to expect Halloween night in South Boston

Sports

Comets routed by Magna Vista

The Warriors shredded the Comets on the way to a 78-21 win.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Jan. 31, 2013

SoVaNow.com / January 29, 2013
I guess it helps to gain some perspective every once in a while. Just in case I ever feel in danger of getting an enlarged ego, I just spend some time with my granddaughter, Anna, who will be thirteen in March. The other day, we were talking about insurance that we had on our house and somehow got around to talking about what we would do if we had a fire in the house. Anna said that if the danger was not too great, she would be sure to go back into the house to rescue our cat, Isaac. I asked, “Well, what about me? Would you come back in for me?” She said, “No. You have lived a good, long life.” At least we do not have any other pets. I would hate to know that I am outranked in my own home by a hamster or a parakeet.

It’s not just the cat. Like many other people in our state, I have been hit by the various illnesses going around. A couple of weeks ago, I was as sick as I have been in several years. I had trouble getting out of bed for several days. When I went looking for sympathy, I found Anna with a mask on at her study desk and a sign that said, “Sick People Stay Away!” After that heart-warming experience, I crawled back into bed.

It is hard to believe that she once was my sweet Anna who did not know anyone in the world quite like her Pop-Pop. Now she has reached the age where I can only approach her if I have money for her. Otherwise, it is my duty to check the scene carefully to make sure that none of her friends are around. She will simply die if she is caught out in public with one of her grandparents.

I have to admit that she is very useful when it comes to electronics. Her generation has an innate feel for phones and electronic gewgaws. Actually, I think that the reverse is true. Electronics are made with a logic that fits younger people; that is why they understand them. The logic that I was raised on does not apply to electronic things. I think in a linear fashion and they think in a circular or who knows what fashion. At any rate, she can program anything. Just don’t ask her to explain how she did it. She doesn’t know; she just does it.

I guess what bugs me is that Anna is growing up. She is on the cusp of dating and I know that I will hate every boy she brings home.

Things were so much simpler when she was younger and adored me. I know that she has to grow into her own person but does it have to happen so quickly? It makes me feel older and now I have to contend with a cat who outranks me.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.