The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

TMI Auto Tech, backed by tobacco grant, aims to develop the ‘Spider’, 19 new jobs

TMI Auto Tech, exclusive North American manufacturer of the Ariel Atom vehicle, has been awarded an $838,000 grant from the Virginia Tobacco Commission to develop a new sports car, the…

College Awareness Night at HCHS Tuesday

The Southern Piedmont Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) and the Halifax County High School guidance department will sponsor a College Awareness Night on Tuesday, Sept. 30, at 6:30 p.m., at the…

Community mourns death of Halifax merchant, civic leader Garland Childrey

Sports

Comet invitational

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for June 27, 2013

SoVaNow.com / June 27, 2013
I have just returned from the Virginia United Methodist Annual Conference in Hampton, Virginia that met this past Friday through Sunday (June 21-23). We have done some business, renewed old acquaintances, made some new friends, and grabbed some food on the run. On the side, we learned which churches would have new pastors for the coming year and which ones, such as mine, are stuck with the same ones for another season.

I am not usually a big fan of Conference. Most of the business has been decided well before we get there. When we do debate something, it seems to be quite the contest to see who can make the most arcane motion or amendment to muddy up the water. Even when we do pass a resolution, it is tough to get too excited when you know that it is not really binding on anyone. I mostly check out the books, go to worship, and try to keep my mouth shut.

This year, I have to say that I allowed myself to get more excited than usual. I found some books that promise to be more helpful than I normally come away with and that always perks me up. I just can’t help it; books are my weakness. But, even more than that, I was impressed with our new bishop, Bishop Young Jin Cho.

This was the first Annual Conference that Bishop Cho has hosted and I look forward to many more here in Virginia. He modeled a Christian humility that is rare today and he lived out the prayer life that he is asking clergy and laity alike to take upon themselves in the coming months. He has repeatedly requested that all clergy and laity in Virginia endeavor to devote one hour a day to spiritual disciplines. These spiritual disciplines could include prayer, scripture reading, meditation, journaling, meeting in a covenant group and so on. Bishop Cho asserts that there can be no revival of the church without a revival of the spirit.

During his messages at Conference and his interactions with the people Bishop Cho, demonstrated that he was serious about this spiritual revival. I, for one, am determined to join with him in this revival. What wonders might we see from our church if we all devoted but one hour a day to the spiritual disciplines?

This should not be a matter of law or obligation.

It should be a matter of joy; it should be a time spent with a Lord whom we love.

Join with me and Bishop Cho in this revival of the church and watch what happens in this next year!

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.