The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

South Boston police reports arrests

No injuries in crash

Two dead as plane goes down at Virginia International Raceway; victims identified (UPDATE)

Virginia State Police have confirmed the identities of two persons who died Friday in a plane crash at Virginia International Raceway in Alton. The dead are Jon Couch, 46, the…

Sports

Comet volleyball girls sweep Patrick County

Comet jayvees also defeat PC in three sets

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for March 28, 2013

SoVaNow.com / March 26, 2013
Have you enjoyed our spring so far? I was watching my granddaughter play softball this past Saturday and I swear that I saw two geese flying back north for the winter. I know that March is often a month for snow but it does not usually leak over into April.

I told my wife that I was going to move to the beach where it was warm and she reminded me that we live in Virginia Beach.
Of course, we will all be griping about the heat in a few short months.

It gives us something to do. I like it because it takes the people’s minds off their pastor. I tend to get fewer complaints when the weather is bad because they forget that I am around.

Easter is coming and I hope that we have nicer weather for the big day. I have to say that Easter can be a trying time for pastors. We tend to have so much planned that we are a tad overwhelmed as the big day approaches. Here in Virginia Beach, Spring Break comes for the public schools next week and that will give us a much needed break. My granddaughter has had a busy schedule with softball and all of us have been very busy.

I have noticed that people tend to over schedule themselves these days. We all want what is best for our children. Still, we wind up with them playing on a travel sports team, which is almost a full-time commitment, plus music, plus clubs, plus school events, and then we throw in a dash of church.

The result is some tired families and the parents have almost no time for themselves.
I have no magic solution but I do know that we cannot do everything.

Establishing priorities is a lesson that we need to learn and we need to pass down to our children. As a pastor, I must establish my own priorities so that I do not overextend myself during Easter or other busy times. I will be no good to the church nor to God if I allow myself to become burnt out.

The same is true of families. We must learn to say no sometimes. What is the best?

What requires our time and what can be postponed or cut from our schedule? I would argue that the church needs more attention than it gets these days. Sports are important and I love them as much as anyone but our relationship with God trumps all of that.

Easter seems to me a good time to recognize that fact.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.