The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

BUYING THE FARM

With new school complex, officials want to add working farm

Mecklenburg trustees back supes’ call for outside firm to scout sites

After long discussion, School Board offers grudging support

Arson suspected in Tuesday morning fire in Clarksville

Sports

Comets’ season ends in regionals

The Comet boys’ varsity basketball team nearly rallied from a miserable start Monday night, before running out of late game momentum in a season-ending loss at Marshall in regional action.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Nov. 10, 2016

SoVaNow.com / November 10, 2016
By the time that you read this, the election will be over, thank you Lord.

I have never seen such a negative, divisive campaign for president.

I long for the days when Tip O’Neil, the ultimate liberal, could be drinking buddies with President Ronald Reagan.

When did we lose the idea that part of politics is disagreement but an equally important part of politics is compromise? I may vehemently disagree with your political stances and views but I do not have to hate you.

As a matter of fact, I will possibly like you very much. Even if we strongly disagree, we should be able to come together and work together for the good of our country.

This is the first election where I felt uncomfortable letting people know my preference.

I am not ashamed of it; I just did not want to argue when there could be no good resolution. I believe strongly that the pulpit should be free of politics.

I am the pastor of people voting for Trump and people voting for Clinton. I do not think I have the right to stand up in the pulpit and mock the beliefs of people who have come to worship God.

At the same time, I have always felt comfortable letting people know my vote if they asked me in private. That is not the case this year. I think that I would burn bridges that could not be rebuilt.

For me, there are at least two things wrong with the political atmosphere this year.

First, we have forgotten that we are all Americans. We are not a two-bit dictatorship. It is our tradition to have a free and open election and then abide by the results. Whoever is elected president will be my president.

I have never had a president with whom I have agreed 100 percent of the time. I know that will not happen this time.

Still, I have supported and will always support my president. People must remember that the world is watching us and watching how we respond to this election.

We have also forgotten that a disagreement over principles does not mean that we must hate each other.

If we are Christians, it is most important to remember that Jesus told us that they we will love our neighbors—all of our neighbors.

How can I disparage and denigrate my neighbors simply because we disagree? Why, if they are Christians, do they think that I am hell-bound if I weigh the options and vote a certain way?

By the time this is read, we will have a glimpse of how we are responding to the election.

I am praying that we come back together as a nation. I pray that we learn to love as Christians.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.