The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

SVHEC welding lab aims to offer an education that pays

Potential for job market gains hailed at ribbon-cutting program

Halifax balks at grant request for boat landing

Fearing potential liability for the town, members of Halifax Town Council Tuesday night shelved a proposal to seek grant funding for improvements to the Banister Lake public boat landing.

No sign mold is back at HCHS, trustees told

Halifax County High School has seen no evidence of any mold problems this fall after suffering with severe mold problems last fall, maintenance director Jay Jennings advised school trustees during…

Sports

Comets pick up first win

The Halifax County High School varsity football team handed Kenneth Day his first win as head football coach, powering past Person County Friday night, 42-29.

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Nov. 15,2012

SoVaNow.com / November 13, 2012
My granddaughter Anna is twelve now and in the seventh grade. She is in the talented and gifted program at Princess Anne Middle School here at Virginia Beach. Occasionally, I get to help her with her homework. I say occasionally because she avoids it whenever possible. I tend to make her work harder than she wants to work but there are times when she has nowhere else to turn.

Last night, she was doing her English homework which consisted of reading a book about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. She was having trouble with the language so she asked for my help. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the book was written in Old English with lots of knaves, forsooths, and varlets to go along with hitteth and speaketh.

I was impressed. The literature that usually is assigned is most often something much more popular in nature. While most of the books are fairly decent—the Harry Potter series comes to mind—they still do not require the kind of discipline and work that classic literature requires. I was brought up on books that forced you to think and think hard. I still do not know if I have forgiven them for making me read Silas Marner, but I know that I am a much better reader for having done it. Children are not going to seek out Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, and Mark Twain on their own. They are all the richer if we shepherd them toward those choices. They will have all the time in the world—and much better reading skills—to read more popular literature later.

I think that we can take this same principle and apply it to the church. There has been a movement over the last several decades to dumb down the curriculum that we teach our children in Sunday school. We do not require them to learn the books of the bible nor do we ask them to even digest whole stories. Instead we give them pithy little quotes that remind them how much God loves them and how much they should love each other. Nowhere do we help them come to grips with the strong stories of the bible that might help them deal with life as they know it.

Let’s face it. Children have alcoholic parents and absentee parents and abusive parents. They live in the same situations that we do. Shouldn’t we give them the stories of the bible that have challenged and comforted us through the centuries? Of course we will base them on their level but they need to know that God is available in every situation. He is not simply there in the sunny days; he is there no matter what happens.

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.