The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

One injured in pickup truck mishap

No let-up in recriminations for Mecklenburg County School Board

Trustees argue over call to oust Bullock, Thornton; lawyer intervenes

Clarksville recognizes volunteer effort

Nunn named recipient of Kathleen Walker Lifetime Achievement Award

Sports

Comets easily handle Tunstall 57-39

Face Person Saturday in final tuneup before Classic

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Nov. 21, 2012

SoVaNow.com / November 20, 2012
This week is Thanksgiving. It seems to me that Thanksgiving does not get enough respect. More and more the holidays that merit our attention are the ones where we can spend more money. Thus, Valentine’s Day, with its emphasis on flowers and gifts for our special loved ones, has climbed in the rankings. Halloween, which once was reserved only for the wee ones, now has been made into one of the biggest nights of the year for adults. Who knew that adults would love to dress up like idiots and go to parties until Madison Avenue convinced them to do it? And, of course, the all-time champion of spending excess, Christmas, comes earlier and earlier each year. We don’t have to wait for Black Friday now. We can order online early and stores are gearing up for slightly Black Thursdays and other gimmicks to take our money.

Poor Thanksgiving! How can this holiday compete when all it offers is the chance to eat ourselves to death and watch football? Oh yeah, we are supposed to give thanks somewhere in there but no one has ever made a nickel out of someone saying thank-you unless it was Hallmark Cards. I thought that I would give a few shout-outs of gratitude in honor of Thanksgiving. Maybe it will put you in the mood and you will take the time to say “thank-you,” also.

I am thankful that the people who want to secede from the nation have the right to say such silly things and are not subject to being shot. In America, we can sign a petition and the White House will even consider such a thing even though we fought a Civil War over that very idea. In other countries, you would not be so lucky. What a great country!

I am thankful that people want to help others who were hurt by Hurricane Sandy. We are still raw with emotion over the election (see my first thank-you) but one of the things we have united behind is a drive to help the victims of Sandy. We are nice people and kind, most of the time and I am grateful for that.

I am thankful that I can get up in my pulpit and worship freely each week. No one has ever attempted to stop me from doing that. Some people have criticized my jokes and a few have not especially appreciated my approach to leading the church. But, hey, they were members of my church. We live in a land of religious freedom and I am thankful.

I guess my point is that we have so much to be grateful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.