The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

HCSA gets earful on sewer leak, fees connection fee

Halifax resident complains of sewage spilling onto property; Cannon denied request for relief with new home connections

Decision on new HCHS principal put off

Trustees will wait until spring to name Randolph successor

Halifax County, towns to hold joint meeting

Sports

Dukes extend run of futility for Barons

Early turnovers open door for 26-point outburst by Cumberland in first half

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Oct. 3, 2013

SoVaNow.com / October 03, 2013
Today is the first day of October which was my mother’s birthday. I still miss her very much but America is more consumed today with the idea that the government has shut down. Admittedly, it will be very hard to tell whether Congress is in or out of session. The way some members of Congress approach their job, the more they can obstruct the work of the country, the better. Still, if this shutdown goes on for very long, we may feel the effects of it. If nothing else, this proves that a minority can still wreak havoc if they hold their breath and throw tantrums.

On Oct. 1, 1529 the Colloquy of Marburg was held. This was an attempt by real grown-ups with actual thinking abilities to resolve the controversies that had arisen between the two Reformers Ulrich Zwingli and Martin Luther. The biggest sticking point had to do with the presence of Christ in Holy Communion. Both sides rejected the stance of the Catholic Church with Luther believing that Christ was spiritually present in the bread and wine. Zwingli viewed the whole ceremony as a memorial of Christ’s death for us without an actual presence of Christ. The two Reformers were able to agree on almost every other point but left without agreeing on this idea. I have difficulty imagining our leaders debating these issues. It would be hard to recite them to the lyrics of “Green Eggs and Ham.”

Something more to our liking happened on Oct. 1, 1971 when Walt Disney World opened in Orlando, Fla. It seems almost like yesterday when Mickey and Minnie made the exodus across the country to their new home by the Atlantic. This was something that Americans could sink their teeth into. Studies and surveys have consistently shown that children more easily recognize the arches of McDonalds than they do the cross of Christianity. I daresay that the Disney characters come in there somewhere. Why get upset with issues and facts and folderol when we can concentrate on Disney, Honey Boo Boo, and ready-made facts that are easily available on the Internet and talk shows? We already know what we believe; let’s just find a station or a talking head who says what we want to hear.

It is hard to believe that my mother and father encouraged me to read and study and think. They thought that education was a way to be free from prejudice. Even if I disagreed with them, as long as I argued with facts, then we could have at it. Back in 1529, people got excited about original ideas.

Today we accept whatever is poured into our heads and we pay the consequences.

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.