The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Move over, Mississippi: cotton crop takes root in Southside Virginia

Compared to Southside Virginia’s big cash crop in tobacco, King Cotton is, well, kind of puny.

Stolen guns found at Clarksville area home

Clarksville Council mulls response to feral cats amid rabies reports

In light of the Clarksville’s recent rabies scare, members of the Town Council again discussed what to do, if anything, with the people who feed the feral cat populations around…

Sports

Owen commits to continue softball playing career at Averett University

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Plain and Simple for Oct. 4, 2012

SoVaNow.com / October 02, 2012
My mother’s birthday was Oct. 1, this past Monday. It is difficult to believe that she had been gone now for eight years. There are still many days when I will feel so full of the vagaries of life that I just have to call her to discuss them. But she is not on the other end of the line anymore.

Just this past Friday I rode with the police as a Chaplain. We had to pick up an eighty-eight year-old man who was a WWII combat veteran. He was being taken in for a psychiatric evaluation and he was not very happy as you might imagine. I understood that it had to be done and the police officers were extremely kind and patient. Still, the kind of world where this type of thing happens is not pleasant. Talking to my mother always made it more so.

My mother was the glue of my family. I adored my father. He had the most fantastic sense of humor and he almost never got upset. He found laughter in everything. My mother, especially early in my life, could be very intense. But she held everything together. She had the sheer force of will to say that nothing could or would break up our family and you somehow knew that was true.

None of us is perfect; my mother certainly was not. As I mentioned, I remember the early days when she had a temper that you had better not cross. But I guess it might have had something to do with having four kids to take care of and working in Dan River Mills on the side. One of the things that I most admired about her was that she was able to change. When she became a Christian, she blossomed. She became much more socially oriented and her temper basically disappeared. She found peace in this world and in the next.

She was even able to change her ideas about the world. So many of us are stuck with our prejudices but she was open to new ideas. She loved to study and continually opened her mind to new things. I do not know if I am as open as she was, but I hope so.

My mother was an indomitable spirit. She nurtured us and sustained us.

Even now, these long years after she has left us, I feel a void.

I was blessed to have her as a mother and miss her still.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.