The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

South Boston man gets jail time on drug charges

Vernon Hill man dies in motorcycle crash

A Vernon Hill man was killed Friday afternoon when the motorcycle he was operating slid off the gravel shoulder of State Route 360 and crashed.

Smoker tax runs into flak as South Boston puts off action

South Boston Town Council on Monday night put off action on a proposed 25 cent-per-pack cigarette tax after a number of speakers at a public hearing criticized the levy as…

Sports

Moore earns all-state baseball honors

Comet senior outfielder named to second team

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Woodview open house Oct. 3

OPEN HOUSE AT THE WODVIEW OCT. 3 FROM 2-4 p.m. The community is invited to join the residents and staff of the Woodview as the center celebrates the installation of fifty-seven pieces of art. Meet the artists; enjoy the music of Harold Young and Friends as well as that of Randy Savage, and enjoy hot dogs and homemade goodies. Pictured is Cedar Forest Mill, Long Island, Virginia, Winter, 1979 , one of the new works at The Woodview by local photographer Andrew Bohanon. Participants will have the opportunity to register for door prizes including framed prints of two of the new works. For more information, call 434.572.4096 or visit http://www.thewoodview.org.
SoVaNow.com / September 25, 2009
By Wendy Fuller
Special to the News & Record

If a picture is worth a thousand words, there is a whole lot of talking going on at The Woodview. The community is invited to join in the conversation on Saturday, Oct. 3 from 2-4 p.m. at an Open House where residents and staff will proudly show off the fifty-seven original photographs recently installed throughout the neighborhoods of the center.

“Research has shown that art plays a role in healing,” states Connie Zamora, director of long term care services for Halifax Regional Health System. “Viewing calming works can lower blood pressure and assist with pain control. Studies have shown that healing and recovery are hastened when nature-related art is viewed by hospitalized patients. We have incorporated such art in Halifax Regional Hospital and kept the research in mind as we began to plan for some refurbishment at The Woodview. We are very excited to have been able to purchase the works of two very talented photographers, whose style suits us perfectly. And we are equally excited that both of them will be joining us at our Open House on Oct. 3.”

Bill Robertson, from Greenville, S.C. and South Boston resident Andrew Bohanon have captured nature at its best. The serene, calming images transport the viewer into a place of restfulness and joy.

Bohanon, a retired school teacher, became interested in photography at the birth of his first child in the early seventies. Well known in the community as a photographer, he has worked on many community projects with the South Boston-Halifax County Museum, the Prizery and the school system.

In 1975 he produced the multimedia slide program Halifax – An American Experience which was presented at the Virginia Educational Media Association the following year.

His work with digital photography began in 1996 leading him to assist with photography and digital imaging on the local museum’s 2002 exhibit Life Along the Staunton River. In 2003 he entered the International Freelance Photographers Association photo contest and was awarded honorable mention for his photo February Storm. That year he also assisted with photography and digital imaging for the Tobacco exhibit at the Prizery.

“It is very gratifying to have my work become a part of The Woodview,” states Bohanon. “A lot of my work has been photographed around Halifax County. I think some of the photographs will be familiar to residents and their families. I think looking at them will bring back memories, especially the old way of doing tobacco.” In 2005 he retired from the public schools and today continues to work in photography digitizing old film files and pictures. His photo of the bridge at Barksdale Depot was chosen for the cover of the book Adrift in Dixie. “A study done by American Art Resources in conjunction with St. Luke’s Hospital in Tennessee,” Zamora states, “showed that hospitalized individuals preferred to view simple nature scenes over other pictures including prints of the great masters. And the number one image chosen by patients as their favorite was Bill Robertson’s Rock Quarry Fall, a picture of a gentle waterfall with a backdrop of trees transitioning from summer to autumn.”

Robertson, who calls Greenville, S.C. home, began his adventure with photography eight years ago after a varied career as a ski bum out west and twenty years in sales and marketing.

“I joined a hiking club,” he states, “and it changed my life. I was in beautiful places and with people who knew lots more than I did about taking pictures. The way you really learn is to take a lot of pictures. Which I did.”

Robertson says that he believed from the beginning that there is a place for nature photographs in healthcare.

“I just carried my photographs around with me to doctor’s offices, Hospice organizations, nursing facilities, hospitals and dentist’s offices to get exposure and it turns out people were willing to purchase them. It happened so effortlessly, I knew it was just meant to be.”

Robertson finds his subject matter in places he loves to hike including the Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the western United States as well as Canada, Iceland and Nova Scotia.

“Each image is a moment in time,” Robertson states, “a story in itself, to which I was privileged to be a part. I invite viewers to discover for themselves the pleasing, healing powers of our natural world and to be reminded of the beauty that is ours to behold, safeguard and honor.”

The Open House will provide individuals an opportunity to view the art and experience for themselves the feelings the images invoke.

Participants can meet the artists, enjoy live music, munch on hot dogs with all the trimmings and enjoy a variety of homemade sweets.

Participants can also register for door prizes including framed prints of two of the featured photographs and participate in demonstrations with the Woodview therapy department.

To learn more about the Open House call 434.572.4906.

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.