The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

10 years added to burglary sentence

Leonard to depart as Halifax IDA director

Matt Leonard, executive director of the Halifax County Industrial Development Authority, will be departing the position Nov. 1 in a decision that the IDA describes as “mutually agreed” upon.

Halifax County dodges a bullet with Florence

Riverdale floods, but it could have been much worse

Sports

Comets squander the win

After blowing sizeable leads, Comets fall to Tunstall 43-29 in district opener

Community

Opinion

A&E

Community

Red Bank news for April 27 2009

Rev. Jimmy Pulliam, pastor of Union Christian Church, delivered the Sunday morning sermon at Virgilina Cemetery, breakfast was served with more than 50 attending from both Union and Florence Avenue Baptist. The Easter lilies were then carried into church and arranged for service, along with the cross of arrangements. Special reading by Lesley Cole and Mrs. Sarah Pulliam and music by the handbell choir. The altar flowers were given by Henry and Estelle Morris in honor and memory of loved ones, greeter was Ann Morris and acolytes were Lesley Cole and Amber Tuck.

Hitesburg News for April 16, 2009

Sunday, call to worship was “Christ Arose” by everyone at Hitesburg Baptist Church. James Hart read the announcements and welcomed everyone. Hymn was “The Old Rugged Cross”. Prayer time ended with a prayer from the Deacon of the Week, Ronnie Pulliam. Choir special was “If I Be Lifted Up”. Hymn was “He Lives”. Everyone fellowshipped with one another. Children’s sermon, which was lead by Ronnie Lloyd, was concerning the real meaning of Easter. Tammy Lloyd sang a solo entitled “He”. Communion was partaken of. There was a baptismal service held for Dwayne Gordon. His mother, Mrs. Gordon, and a few other of his family members were present to see the baptism. Hymn was “Because He Lives”. Visitors at HBC Sunday included James and Lori Wade, Nathan Wade, Evelyn Wade, Ryan and Gwen Driskill, Reid Driskill, Jackson Driskill, Greg and Whitney Cranfill, Erin Cranfill, Doug and Mary Harriett Forlines, Chad and Joni Crain, Steve and Chasity Bowen, Bailey Bowen, Averie Bowen, Christie Newton, Cale Newton, Tyler Newton, Jessica Bowen, Lewis and Regina Snyder, Amy Marshall, Judy Henley and a couple others.

Clover News for April 20, 2009

Worship services at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “Lamb of God” played by Lee Snead. Pastor Bonnie Pizzeck had welcome remarks and prayer. Call to prayer was “Thank You Lord” by the choir followed by the Lord’s prayer. Call to worship was “He Is Lord” by the choir. Hymn of praise was “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus.” Responsive reading was Psalm 118: 1-2. Pastor Bonnie had celebration of the Last Supper and Maundy Thursday read “Behold the Saviour of Mankind.” Pastor Bonnie told the youth “How Much Jesus Loves Us.” Lee Snead sang “By This Wounds.” Choir anthem was “10,000 Angels.” Hymn of dedication was “Up From the Grave He Arose.” Pastor Bonnie read scripture John 20: 1-18, message “Easter Homily.” Hymn was “Christ the Lord is Risen Today.” Offertory hymn was “The Night Before Easter.” Ushers were Tim and Eric Snead. Hymn of celebration was “He Lives.” Pastor Bonnie had closing prayer. Benediction was “God Be With Till We Meet Again.” Tim Snead was acolyte. Easter lilies were provided by Phyllis and Marvin Jr. Ligon in honor of Maurine Ligon and Faye Edmondson in honor of Hugh and T.T. Edmondson.

Clover News for April 9, 2009

Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “Tell Me the Story of Jesus” played by Lee Snead. Call to worship was “Only Believe” by the choir. Pastor Bonnie Pizzeck had welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led the responsive reading from Psalm 31: 9-16. Hymn of praise was “He is Lord.” Pastor Bonnie read Philippians 2: 5-11. Special music was a solo by Pastor Bonnie “I Love You Lord.” Pastor Bonnie had joys and concerns, pastoral prayer and the Lord’s prayer. Call to prayer was “Thank You Lord” by the choir. Offertory hymn was “Glory to His Name.” Ushers were Tim and Eric Snead. Special music was “Why Should He Love Me So?” by the choir. Hymn of preparation was “Tell Me the Stories of Jesus” followed by the Apostles Creed. Scripture reading was Mark 11: 1-11 and Pastor Bonnie’s message “The Passion of Holy Week.” Sacrament of Holy Communion was observed. Hymn was “Just a Closer Walk With Thee.” Meria Harris and Lisa Ridgeway assisted with Communion. Hymn of celebration was “Fairest Lord Jesus.” Benediction was “God Be With You Till We Meet Again.” Tim Snead was acolyte.

Hitesburg News for April 9, 2008

Sunday, call to worship was “He Keeps Me Singing” by the choir at Hitesburg Baptist Church. Reverend Bob Watts read the announcements and welcomed everyone. The beautiful arrangement of flowers in the sanctuary were given in remembrance of Alfred Elliott. Hymn was “The Way of the Cross Leads Home”. Prayer time ended with a prayer from the Deacon of the Week, John Szynklewski. Tammy Lloyd sang “I’ve Got More to Go to Heaven For Than Yesterday” as some special music. Jimmy Wilson accompanied her on the guitar.

Forever Plaid: Smooth, talented, entertaining

Red Bank News for April 9, 2009

Rev. Jimmy Pulliam, pastor of Union Christian Church, delivered the Sunday sermon; Barbara Carnevale was organist; Lesley Cole and Amber Tuck were acolytes; greeter was Kit Hogan. The altar flowers were given by Lottie and Ryland Harris in honor and memory of loved ones.

Hitesburg News for April 9, 2009

Sunday, call to worship was “Victory In Jesus” by the choir at Hitesburg Baptist Church. Don Loftis read the announcements and welcomed everyone. Hymn was “Redeemed”. Prayer time ended with a prayer from the Deacon of the Week, James Hart. Choir special was “This Joy I Have”. Hymn was “At Calvary”. Everyone fellowshipped with one another. Children’s sermon, which was lead by Brother Mike Bowen, was concerning how sin makes a person unclean and how everyone should obey their parents. A folded napkin with a spot on it, which was dipped in water, was used as a visual aide. Scripture used was from Exodus 20:12. Tammy Lloyd sang a solo entitled “I’m A Winner Either Way”. Reverend Bob Watts brought the sermon entitled “Searching for a Revival”. Scripture was from 2 Chronicles 7:14 and John 15:7. Hymn was “Have Thine Own Way Lord”. Visitors at HBC Sunday included Joshua Haden, Mike and Lindsey Proshaka and Cephus Overbey.

Hitesburg News for April 2, 2009

Clover News for April 4, 2009

Worship service at Scottsburg UMC opened with the prelude “Remind Me Dear Lord” played by Lee Snead. Call to worship was “Without Him” by the choir. Pastor Bonnie Pizzeck had welcome remarks, announcements, prayer and led the responsive reading from Psalm 84. Hymn of praise was “Lift High the Cross.” Pastor Bonnie read Luke 10: 27b and had joys and concerns, pastoral prayer and the Lord’s prayer. Call to prayer was “Spirit of the Living God” by the choir. Offertory hymn was “Jesus Is Coming Again.” Ushers were Tim and Eric Snead. Special music was “In My Heart There Rings a Melody” by the choir. Hymn of preparation was “Breathe On Me Breath of God” followed by the Apostles Creed. Scripture reading was Psalm 95: 1-7 and Pastor Bonnie’s message “Passionate Worship.” Hymn of celebration was “Here I Am Lord.” Benediction was “Bond of Love.” Eric Snead was acolyte.

• Page 79 of 80 pages « First  <  77 78 79 80 >

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.