The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

South Boston Police catch up with suspect

Miss Virginia shines at Miss America Pageant

Courtney Garrett, whose grandfather lives in Halifax County, is first runner-up

Spirits of the past

In the 1920s and 1930s, if you lived in Franklin County, most likely you were in involved in the county’s biggest industry — making illegal whiskey or moonshine.

Sports

12 runners, 208 miles, 36 hours, no sleep

Recently, a group of twelve local runners took on the challenge of participating in the Blue Ridge Relay. A grueling, two hundred plus mile relay spanning two days, mountainous terrain,…

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

34-year-old dies in apartment fire

South Boston News
SoVaNow.com / September 10, 2012
A South Boston resident, Lawrence Miller Jr., 34, died early Sunday morning in a fire that struck Tanglewylde Apartments.

According to South Boston Fire Chief Steve Phillips, his department was called out 2:34 a.m. Sunday to the Tanglewylde complex, located on Tanglewylde Drive just below Halifax Regional Hospital. As firefighters attempted to extinguish the blaze, they found the man lying in the bedroom in one of the downstairs apartments located in the building. Rescue squad personnel rushed him immediately to the hospital.

The cause of the blaze has yet to be determined, said Phillips, who explained that South Boston Detective Randy Redd is investigating the blaze with the assistance of the Virginia State Police.

The apartments are owned by Chaparral Investments. The building (one of six units) in which the apartment was located su stained an estimated $60,000 in damages.

A source close to the investigation said Miller and his wife had talked around midnight Saturday at which time he told his wife, who was visiting her family near Scottsburg, that he was tired and was going to put something to eat in the microwave and lie down. Their ten year old son was visiting a friend. It is believed that something from the microwave burned, causing smoke to fill the apartment, the source said.

The Red Cross is assisting the family and also a couple who lived in an upstairs apartment which also suffered significant smoke damage.

South Boston firefighters responded with four trucks and 15 people and were assisted by eight to ten members of the Halifax Volunteer Fire Department.

According to South Boston Police Captain B.K. Lovelace, Miller’s body was sent to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Richmond for an autopsy, although no foul play is suspected.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

1387

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.