The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

South Boston building updates, plans for assistant manager aired

Blue Ribbon Extraction is now Golden Piedmont Labs

Halifax County school board votes to let teachers bring their children to work


Sports

GOTR to empower girls through running, life skills

Signups under way for girls in grades 3-5

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

After 114 years as downtown institution, Lantor’s to close doors

South Boston News
SoVaNow.com / June 29, 2020


Lantor’s, the women’s apparel store that has been a fixture in Downtown South Boston for 114 years, announced Sunday night that it will soon shut its doors for good.

John Lantor, who has been at the store for 44 years, also announced his retirement.

The store was founded by Samuel Arthur Lantor in 1906 and was subsequently helmed by his sons, Nathan Lantor and William Lantor, and grandson, John Lantor.

According to the store’s online history: “Lantor’s originally carried merchandise for both men and women, along with a variety of piece goods, ribbons and thread. In 1920, Lantor’s became an exclusive ladies store, complete with two salesladies, one seamstress and one milliner, and by 1962, the staff had grown to five salesladies and two ladies in alterations.”

John Lantor said he had “great appreciation coupled with many emotions and memories,” in his Facebook posting.

He did not give a closing date for the boutique, located at 437 Main Street.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

89

The Donte App, coming soon to iOS and Android