South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
10/20/16 - 6:33 am
10/20/16 - 6:30 am
Supervisors examine architect fees
10/20/16 - 6:28 am
10/20/16 - 6:25 am
- More A&E
Arrests made in C-store break-ins
SoVaNow.com / September 12, 2012Mecklenburg Sheriff Bobby Hawkins speculated this week that the recent indictments and arrests of Russell Harvey Walker III, 40, of South Hill and William Twine, 43, of Edenton, N.C. likely will put an end to a four-month investigation into a crime spree that began May 6 with a break-in at Triangle Grocery #2 on Highway 58 near Baskerville.
Over a four-day period, break-ins or attempts occurred at several convenience stores in both Mecklenburg and Lunenburg Counties.
Currently, the two are each charged with two counts of attempted burglary, two counts of felony vandalism and one count of grand larceny. Twine faces an additional count of grand larceny. Additional charges may be forthcoming, Hawkins said.
In Mecklenburg County, the two allegedly caused $1,000 in damage to Triangle Grocery #1 and forcibly entered the store on May 6.
Four nights later, May 9, the two purportedly attempted break-ins at Sullivan’s Grocery on Highway 47 and US#1 Grocery on US Highway 1. Lt. Chris Whittemore speculated that an audible alarm interrupted the break-ins at Sullivan’s and US#1 Grocery.
A convenience store in Lunenburg County was also the subject of a break-in on May 9.
Walker and Twine were arrested Aug. 24, and are being held at Meherrin Regional Jail without bond.
Whittemore said the indictment and arrests were the result of information supplied by South Hill Police Detective Nelson Watson, who was conducting a similar investigation in South Hill.
The arrests, according to Whittemore, were made possible by the efforts of Watson, Lunenburg County Sheriff’s Office Lieutenant Mike Landry, and Chase City Police Chief Jay Jordan.
In other matters, Deputy Natasha Brown responded to two separate assault incidents over the Labor Day weekend. The first involved a 25-year-old male. Brown said the victim claimed that an unknown male “slammed him on the ground dislocating his shoulder and leaving an abrasion above his eye.”
The alleged assault supposedly took place while the victim was speaking with a young female.
“Due to alcohol the victim was unable to identify his attacker, no suspects have been provided at this time,” said Brown.
If anyone witnessed the incident or as any information, Brown encourages them to call Crime Solvers or the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office.
That same day, Brown was dispatched to the Hillcrest Trailer Court, to investigate a second purported assault. While en route, Brown said the Emergency Call Center, received a second complaint for the same address claiming shots were fired and two subjects were fighting.
When she arrived at Hillcrest, Brown saw the female victim “waiving and pointing at a male carrying a gun.”
Brown ordered the male suspect, later identified as Jeffet Patillo, to the ground. Patillo was arrested and charged with felony discharge of a firearm in a dwelling, misdemeanor brandishing a firearm, and misdemeanor reckless discharge of a firearm.
He is currently incarcerated in the Meherrin River Regional Jail under a $2,500 secured bond.
Mecklenburg Sergeant Marlon Alexander investigated a break in at 5840 Skipwith Road. The realtor responsible for the building said a door was damaged and copper lines were removed from the structure. The vandalism occurred sometime between Feb. 1 and Sept. 1.
Alexander said damages and losses are estimated at $40.
Deputy Travis Baisey investigated a larceny complaint at 635 Mt. Ararat Road. The victim claimed a yellow and green motorized tamper was taken from his storage facility. The tamper had a logo containing the word “Stone.”
The victim offered not additional information.
So far, deputies have no suspects for the Skipwith Road or Mt. Ararat Road burglaries. They, along with Crime Solvers ask and encourage anyone with information in these cases or any other crimes, to call the Mecklenburg County Crime Solvers at 1-877-676-8477. Remember that you do not have to give your name, just your information. If your information leads to an arrest or indictment, you could receive up to a $1,000.00 reward.
News & Record