South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
07/24/14 - 7:37 am
SVHEC ramps up new Center of Excellence with $2 million grant
07/24/14 - 7:36 am
A Monday morning fire razed a two-story rental house at 1911 N. Main Street in South Boston despite quick action by firefighters to quell the blaze.
07/24/14 - 7:31 am
Robertson-Dabrowski overcomes struggles
07/28/14 - 8:56 am
Scottsburg has been eliminated in state Dixie Youth O-zone state tournament, and the South Boston allstars remain alive in the postseason event at the Day Complex.
- More A&E
Child burned by exploding paint can
SoVaNow.com / June 02, 2014A four year old boy who will celebrate his fifth birthday this month suffered second degree burns on his face on Saturday after an old paint can exploded in a trash fire sending hot debris onto the boy’s face.
According to Sheriff’s Deputy Joey Adams who investigated the incident late Saturday afternoon, the youngster was just playing around the yard of his Acorn Road home where his family had been burning trash when the paint can exploded, sending hot sparks all around. About 40 percent of the child’s face was burned. A family member told Adams they did not know the paint can was in the pile of trash which they had burned.
The child was airlifted by Lynchburg’s Centra Hospital helicopter from the helipad at the North Halifax Volunteer Fire Department to the University of Virginia hospital’s burn center in Charlottesville.
News & Record