The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

South Boston Police catch up with suspect

Miss Virginia shines at Miss America Pageant

Courtney Garrett, whose grandfather lives in Halifax County, is first runner-up

Spirits of the past

In the 1920s and 1930s, if you lived in Franklin County, most likely you were in involved in the county’s biggest industry — making illegal whiskey or moonshine.

Sports

12 runners, 208 miles, 36 hours, no sleep

Recently, a group of twelve local runners took on the challenge of participating in the Blue Ridge Relay. A grueling, two hundred plus mile relay spanning two days, mountainous terrain,…

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

Family left homeless by Saturday afternoon fire

South Boston News
SoVaNow.com / March 17, 2014
A six member family was left homeless following a Saturday afternoon fire on U.S. 501, just north of the old Rosa school.

Darby McGeorge, owner of the doublewide manufactured home, said no one was at home at the time of the fire which reportedly started around 1 p.m. Household members included McGeorge’s wife Jennifer, a 26 year old son and his wife, a 16 year old daughter and a five year old son.

McGeorge said he had been advised by members of the fire department that they suspected the fire must have started in the center section of the home where the residents had used a floor heater to warm that part of the house. The heater apparently caught a nearby sofa on fire and from there the blaze spread.

“We had always tried to be very careful to unplug the heater when we were not using it, but somehow it was missed,” MeGeorge said yesterday.

Liberty Fire Department responded at 1 p.m. to the blaze finding the center section of the house completed engulfed in flame. They were assisted by firefighters from the North Halifax Volunteer Fire Department as well as from the Halifax Volunteer Fire Department.

The house was declared a total loss, estimated at some $80,000. The Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing, said Ginger Weaver, who said she would be meeting with the family later on Sunday to see what other needs they might be able to help with.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

478

Advertising Flyer

Find out how you can reach more customers by advertising with The News & Record and The Mecklenburg Sun -- in print and online.