The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Local Visitor Center garners honor from state association

The South Boston/Halifax County Visitor Center has received the “Visitor Center of the Year” award given annually by the Virginia Association of Convention and Visitors Bureaus (VACVB).

Fire halted at edge of data center

Leaf-burning spirals out of control; person responsible may be liable for damage after violating 4 p.m. ban

Chase City beefs up ordinance for derelict buildings

The ordinance defines a dilapidated building as any residential, rental or commercial structure that could contribute to the spread of disease or injury, creates a fire hazard, is liable to…

Sports

SBS to race under the lights

The first race of the night will get the green flag at 7 p.m.

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

Family loses home Monday morning

SoVaNow.com / November 14, 2013
A family of three lost their home and all their belongings in a Monday morning fire around 9:30 a.m. The cause of the fire at the single wide mobile home in which Todd Dease and his family lived at 3151 Bethel Road, Halifax is still unknown.

According to Ginger Weaver of the Red Cross, who is assisting the family, the couple barely escaped injury as they were asleep after having earlier gotten the child off to school but they managed to flee the trailer just in time.

The Halifax Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze with assistance from South Boston and Scottsburg firefighters.

Weaver said the couple will need furnishings since everything was destroyed in the fire. She said those wanting to help may contact her at the Red Cross office at 476-5148.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

524

Classified Advertising

Buy and sell items in News & Record classifieds.