South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
02/26/15 - 8:15 am
02/26/15 - 8:04 am
02/25/15 - 3:06 pm
02/26/15 - 2:03 pm
- More A&E
Nathalie man enters plea in two home invasions
SoVaNow.com / January 27, 2014
A 20-year-old Nathalie man pleaded guilty Friday in Circuit Court to charges of robbery in connection with two home invasions in the Nathalie area in late 2012 and early 2013.
Benjamin Charles Desmond, listed on police reports as a resident of Cousin Lane, Nathalie, was due to go before a jury this week for his trial before he entered the guilty pleas Friday in Halifax.
His sentencing hearing is scheduled in March, said Halifax County Commonwealth’s Attorney Tracy Quackenbush Martin.
Desmond had been charged with nine offenses, ranging from robbery to abduction, in connection with two home invasions in the Nathalie area, on Dec 22, 2012 and Jan. 12, 2013.
According to Quackenbush Martin, one of the incidents involved Desmond pointing what appeared to a firearm at the home’s occupant. The weapon was later determined to be not an actual firearm, but a BB gun.
Quackenbush Martin said the charges in the case were consolidated as Desmond entered his plea to multiple counts of robbery and attempted robbery.
He was initially arrested by the Halifax County Sheriff’s Department on Jan. 12, 2013 and later charged in connection with additional counts on May 29, 2013.
CommentsEach count should have been charged individually and maximum sentence requested, then handed down. No quarter for anyone executing such a crime.
B&E and especially home invasions are crimes that take a long time for the victims to recover, assuming they recover from the trauma at all. And the gun control crowd can't or won't realise the value of being armed for self-defense in such a situation. Crack or meth head busts in intent on robbery or bodily harm, they should get a slug right between the eyes. That way there's one less oxygen thief at large.
- By powerhouse on 01 / 29 / 14
News & Record