South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
12/17/14 - 8:08 am
With rabies threat on the rise, one woman seeks alternative to euthanasia
12/15/14 - 8:49 am
12/15/14 - 8:45 am
Proposed calendar sets Aug. 10 opening for students, July 27 report date for staff
12/17/14 - 8:12 am
Amelia, Prince Edward deal out pair of defeats
- More A&E
Six-year-old dies after choking on hot dog
SoVaNow.com / June 30, 2014A six-year-old Halifax boy died Thursday night after choking on a hotdog he was eating. J’Marion Adrian Barley of Gatha’s Trail was pronounced dead at the local hospital after being rushed to the emergency room around 10:15 p.m. Thursday.
The child was eating at the kitchen table of his home with his mother and grandmother there with him when he choked on his food.
The Halifax Police Department received the emergency call and according to Police Chief Kevin Lands, Officer D.D. Irby was on duty at the time and responded immediately to the scene, a short distance from the police station.
“I think he was there within three to four minutes,” Lands said yesterday.
He said Irby tried repeatedly to dislodge the hotdog from the boy’s throat, using the Heimlich method. Rescue personnel also arrived quickly and attempted to dislodge the food, all to no avail.
Members of the Halifax County Sheriff’s Department also responded to the scene.
J’Marion Adrian Barley was a student at Scottsburg Elementary School.
A funeral service for the child will be conducted on Tuesday, July 1 at 1 p.m. at New Mt. Olive Apostolic Church in Halifax, with Bishop Joseph Dixon and Suffragan Bishop Leonia Palmer presiding. Burial will follow in the church cemetery.
News & Record