South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
11/30/15 - 8:03 am
11/30/15 - 8:01 am
11/30/15 - 7:57 am
HCSA lifts advisory after one day; 45 homes on Vaughan, Magnolia affected
11/30/15 - 8:40 am
Halifax County High School winter sports begins Tuesday with both the boys and girls basketball teams, and swimming in action.
- More A&E
Soldiers’ final markers are placed anew
SoVaNow.com / November 26, 2012On a recent cold November morning, members of the John M. Jordan Camp 58, Sons of Confederate Veterans Historical Honor Society joined forces with residents of the Rogers Chapel community to restore two historically significant government-issued grave markers. The grave markers were that of Thomas Wood, a Revolutionary War veteran, circa 1753 to 1824, and his grandson, Thomas William Wood, a veteran of the War Between the States, who died June 20, 1864 in a military hospital in Petersburg. Thomas Wood served with the Virginia Militia and Thomas William Wood served with Co. F, 34th Virginia, CSA.
In November of 1998, Glen Harvey of Roanoke and his cousin Edward Bracket of Powhatan attempted to visit the gravesite of their third great-grandfather and great-grand uncle on Route 607. Knowing the gravestones were there, the two men covered practically every inch of the area until the stones were finally located. The gravestones were found lying flat, side-by-side, covered with vegetation. It appeared to Harvey and Brackett the stones had been moved when the area was logged several years earlier.
It was the desire of these two men that the historically significant monuments not be lost. In May of this year, the two descendents contacted the local camp of Sons of Confederate Veterans. Camp Commander Bill Crews began investigating the site, and was able to locate neighbors who had personal knowledge of the stones’ original locations. Ricky Bowman lived on the property as a child and was instrumental in identifying where the stones were originally set.
On Nov. 14, SCV members Bill Crews, Boyd Archer, Lawrence Woosley and H.L. Crews, together with community residents Ricky Bowman and Lester Dodd, recovered the government-issued grave monuments and returned them to the proper location. The volunteers set the stones in a cement foundation and trust the final resting place of these two veterans will be respected for generations to come.
News & Record