South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
11/30/15 - 8:03 am
11/30/15 - 8:01 am
11/30/15 - 7:57 am
HCSA lifts advisory after one day; 45 homes on Vaughan, Magnolia affected
11/30/15 - 8:40 am
Halifax County High School winter sports begins Tuesday with both the boys and girls basketball teams, and swimming in action.
- More A&E
South Boston home scorched by Monday fire
SoVaNow.com / July 24, 2014
A Monday morning fire razed a two-story rental house at 1911 N. Main Street in South Boston despite quick action by firefighters to quell the blaze.
The scorched house, which is owned by the Sugg Estate and managed by Cynthia Kent, was occupied by renters Victoria Edmunds and her adult son. The local chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the family.
“The front room was damaged heavily, and the rest was smoke damage,” said Ginger Weaver, disaster services specialist with Eastern Virginia Region American Red Cross. “We are helping with immediate emergency needs.”
Three South Boston fire trucks were on the scene with an eleven-person crew at 9:55 a.m. to extinguish a fire that had started in the left front bedroom of the residence. Halifax Fire Department assisted SBFD with an additional three trucks and six more firefighters in fighting the blaze.
Weaver recommended that anyone in the community who may want to help or donate to families in need, should reach out to established agencies first.
Organizations such as Goodwill, Salvation Army, food banks, and the Red Cross already have in place the resources needed for the most vulnerable in the community. Most of the organizations rely on public donations to continue to provide the timely and trusted services after disasters and other hardships.
Weaver also added that homeowner and/or renter’s insurance is always an important component to keep in one’s household budget.
“For your own welfare —you may think you don’t have anything until you have a fire —with insurance, you have a starting point and hope to rebuild,” Weaver said.
The South Boston Police Department reviewed the fire and determined the cause as being “accidental.”
Damages to the home, valued at $100,000, were estimated at some $15,000.
News & Record