The News & Record
South Boston News & Record
and Mecklenburg Sun
Home   •   News   •   Sports   •   Classifieds   •   Community   •   Health   •   Entertainment   •   Obituaries   •   Opinions   •   Weather
Advertising | Contact | Register
Advanced Search
News

Local Bar leads Food Frenzy

The Halifax County Bar Association has been named one of the winners of the 2014 Legal Food Frenzy competition sponsored by the Feedmore Central Virginia Food Bank, a charitable organization…

Possession of fire bomb charged to South Boston man

A 54 year old South Boston man has been arrested and charged with the manufacture, possession or use of a fire bomb or explosive material or device. Matthew Hubbard Jr.…

FRIENDLY SKIES

Potts Landing, the area’s only gated airpark, touts wonders of flight

Sports

Official football practice begins tomorrow for local high schools

Park View and Bluestone will begin full football practice schedules Thursday and both schools have been conducting conditioning sessions during the off-season to better prepare their players.

Community


Opinion


A&E

News

Turbeville family loses home to fire

South Boston News
SoVaNow.com / February 20, 2014
Mike and Shelia Snead and their three children — ages 15, 4 and 2 — lost everything in a Turbeville house fire Wednesday morning shortly after 7 a.m.

The family lived in two singlewide mobile homes which were joined together on the property, at 2198 Wilkins Road, Turbeville.

Turbeville firefighters responded to the fire after receiving a call at 7:15 a.m. The department sent 16 members and four trucks, assisted by eight firefighters and four trucks from the Cluster Springs Department. Also lending assistance was one firefighter with the Cefo, N.C. fire department, which sent one truck.

According to a family spokesperson, the 15-year-old daughter was getting ready to go to school when thought she smelled smoke and thought perhaps her curling iron had gotten too hot. As she walked out of her room and into the bathroom, she found an adjoining wall and ceiling ablaze.

She immediately woke her mother, who was asleep. She, the mother and the two year old fled the house. (The third child in the family, age 4, was not at home at the time.)

Snead had left the home around 6 a.m., and said he had detected no signs of a fire or smoke when he left for work.

While no official determination has been made on the cause of the blaze, it is believed it may have started with some type of electrical shortage.

Ginger Weaver with the American Red Cross said her agency is assisting the family. She added that others who want to help may call her office at 476-5148 for further information about the family’s needs.

Tell-a-Friend | Submit a Comment

534

Sports Coverage

See complete sports coverage for Halifax and Mecklenburg counties.